Before and After editing.. C&C

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My last edit was a fail, so I tried again...This time looking up clean edit. How is this one? Thank you!!

Before: SOOC
makennaSOOC.jpg

After: using Photoshop Elements
MakennaCleanPSE.jpg

I think it would look better in B&W, since there is a lot of sharpening and contrast going on here.

No it's not a keeper

I was trying to be polite, I don't think I'm brutally honest enough to give critique. LOL Also, I wasn't sure if she had some sort of connection with the photo to want to keep it.

#2 is a little better though now a little on the too bright side. #1: looks out of focus but it might not be, she doesn't look too happy in either photo

#2 is has been a little over-sharpened in my opinion. I think the main problem is it isn't a good pose and and the viewer feels no "connection."

Also, gsgary is right... You missed the focus. Wide open at f/2 is a pretty shallow DOF and you have to be sure that your focused on your subjects eyes.

A big key to portrait editing is to only do local edits instead of doing global edits. Amd try to be subtle.

In the photo and in the edit she has dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes) becuase no fill lighting (reflected or strobed) was to add light to her dark eye sockets.

The goal is to get it as close to right in the camera because that take a lot less time than editing post process, and getting it as close to right in the camera actually gives the photographer a lot more control.

How many layers does your edit use? What selection tools, if any, did you use. Inm y quick edit i used 6 layers, the Quick selection, and the Polygonal selection tools.

Quick Selection and layer mode set to Screen. On this layer I also sharpened just her eyes, nose and lips and did a litle cloning under her eyes to get rid of some dark lines.:

makennaScreen.jpg

I did some dodging. :

makennadDodge.jpg

On made a Vibrance Adjustment layer of just her iris', another Vibrance Adjustment layer of just her lips, and an Exposure layer of just her iris' so I could darken them just a touch. i can't make copies of those layers i can show you here.

The final result;
makennaSOOC.jpg

Before: SOOC
makennaSOOC.jpg

After: using Photoshop Elements
MakennaCleanPSE.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back