Beginer's garden

sujeshs40342

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife has a garden and I tried clicking some pictures there. Please give your comments on these pictures, Also please suggest a telephoto lens that I can buy for my Nikon D 5000. ( @400 $)

First flower on table rose

DSC_0020.JPG

We planted a table rose inside a Bamboo stick
DSC_0031.JPG

These are new buddings of chilli
DSC_0040.JPG

This is how Moon looked early in the morning (18 - 55 VR Nikon)
DSC_0057.JPG

Last edited:
These need to be larger please.

1. You missed the focus. It fell on the top left of the petal.
2. Back ground is distracting.

#3 is the only one I find somewhat interesting.

Um...I'm going to quite frank. These "garden" photos kind of suck. As flower photos, they are pretty good, IMHO. May I suggest taking photos of the actual garden. I'd like to see them. May I further suggest a photo taken from a high vantage point, perhaps a roof. I look forward to your thoughts as well.

Thanks for the comments. This is not an actual Garden these are pots kept in our balcony :er: so there is limited distance for taking these photos (no good vantage point).

C&C per req:

1. Close; you've missed the focus slightly and it's a tad under-exposed. For both this and #2, when shooting this type of flower, you're usually better to shoot more directly 'into' the bloom. As well, try and compose the image to eliminate elements such as the green sprig lower right.

2. This is technically fine; focus, exposure, WB, etc, but the background is very distracting to say the least, and again, more detail on the blossom would make the image MUCH stronger.

3. I actually rather like this; it's a nice close-up image and would be that much better were the foreground more closely exposed to the centre of the image and all the shoots sharply focuse. This is one of the tricks to close-up/macro work: Overcoming the very shallow DoF.

4. A nice image, and given the limitations of your equipment, one with which you should be well pleased. The composition is very nice. Of course it would be better were the exposure more even, but you can only do what you can do with what you have.

As for a telephoto, I would suggest one of the slew of 70-300 f3.5-5.6 tele-zooms. You can find versions from Nikon, Sigma and Tamron. If you have access to a decent used gear store, look for the constant f4 version.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. Close; you've missed the focus slightly and it's a tad under-exposed. For both this and #2, when shooting this type of flower, you're usually better to shoot more directly 'into' the bloom. As well, try and compose the image to eliminate elements such as the green sprig lower right.

2. This is technically fine; focus, exposure, WB, etc, but the background is very distracting to say the least, and again, more detail on the blossom would make the image MUCH stronger.

3. I actually rather like this; it's a nice close-up image and would be that much better were the foreground more closely exposed to the centre of the image and all the shoots sharply focuse. This is one of the tricks to close-up/macro work: Overcoming the very shallow DoF.

4. A nice image, and given the limitations of your equipment, one with which you should be well pleased. The composition is very nice. Of course it would be better were the exposure more even, but you can only do what you can do with what you have.

As for a telephoto, I would suggest one of the slew of 70-300 f3.5-5.6 tele-zooms. You can find versions from Nikon, Sigma and Tamron. If you have access to a decent used gear store, look for the constant f4 version.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

^^^^^What he said. If I can't fill the frame on a macro shot I usually crop most of the picture out leaving only the subject and a backround blur. It helps to shoot on the fine setting as well so your subject still looks good after the crop but it does tend to make the file size rather large. Don't restrict yourself to telephoto lenses either. If you are looking to get a lens that's mostly for macro you might find a wider lens (50-60mm area) with the right magnification that's suitable for macro's and portraiture as well.

Most reactions

Back