Beginner and camera worries.

xxarmando

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am a beginner to photography and recently purchased the Nikon D7100 with 18-140 mm f/3.5. As I am still learning the basics I have been looking around and seeing how some of you notice problems with your cameras or lenses. My problem is I don't know how to spot those, so far that's my only worry that "what if I notice it too late". Purchasing my first Dslr is a huge step for me financially. If anyone can inform me what you guys look for when you buy a camera ,defects wise that you search for like second hand nature. I hope I don't sound too perturbed, but since I am new I don't want to notice too late.

If you're buying it new, then there is very unlikely to be a defect, and if there is, simply return it to the purchaser or Nikon USA for repair under warranty. If you're buying second-hand, then read the manual ahead of time and learn the functions, and test it before you hand over any money. External condition is a very good ('though not infalliable) indicator. If the exterior is clean, damage free, and well cared for, chances are the camera is in decent shape.

Are you having any issues?
Normally the D7100 is a high quality camera and the kit lens is pretty good too.

I bought it new from Amazon, I also wanted to make sure since I am fresh into photography and still learning. Also I had to call Nikon to activate my 1 year warranty on the body and 5 year on lens, because the site has been down when you log in for a couple of days for me. Anyone experiencing the same problem with the Nikonusa site after log in?

Purchasing a camera new has very few drawbacks, besides buyer remorse. When I bought my first dslr less than a year ago, i haven't since worried about a problem with the camera. I bought a lens from a pawn shop, but for about $30. I considered it an upgrade from my kit lens, so it was a gamble I risked taking (and have so far won).
Mechanical issues on new products seem few and far between. It seems that buyers remorse is a more common seen problem, and that research doesn't go into it prior to a purchase

My advice before purchasing any more equipment is to do your homework first.

I am not regretting buying anything, all I am asking is what abnormalities/defects do photographers look for in a camera when they receive it to check it's overall functionality, as I am still learning as much as time allows. Even If I knew what to look for I wouldn't be able to check for such things if I didn't have the camera to inspect for such means. I did check DSLR's for beginners and it came down to D5200 and D7100, I went for the 7100 in the end.

Stop worrying and start enjoying your camera.
I bought a D7000 with a problem and it was noticed by all much sooner then me.
Start posting a picture or too in the "General Gallery" forum and ask for CC from the people, they will not be shy in telling you what they think.
The problem I had with the D700 was a very well known and well recorded problem with this camera and I am glad to tell you that as far as I know the D7100 is considered to be a VERY good reliable camera with no known specific issues so I don't expect any problem with your camera.
I own a D7100 and it took me some time to learn the camera compared to the D7000 but once I did I found it to be an AMAZING tool.
Just go outside, shoot and have fun and most of all trust your camera because you are missing the whole point of enjoying it if you keep doubting it while its a great camera.

I suppose you could try each "mode" in turn to make sure that they all work. You could post a photograph here to ask others to check it for focus. You could go into the menu one item at a time to make sure you can access each and make whatever adjustments you think might be in question. You could try taking as many photos as you can with one charge of the battery to check the battery. Anything else?

(edit) Oh, and check the editing-in-camera functions, and the SD card. Check the on-board flash, check the hotshoe if you have a speedlight. Ummm... anything else?

One of the things about the Internet you have to account for is that many 'problems' people think they have with DSLR camera gear is actually user error.

I can't imagine if you buy a car. Stop worry and shoot happy! :D

I'll have to second this one!!

I'll let the experts address the D7100 V D7000 V D-whatever because I'm not really up to speed on that stuff! Them newfangled cameras are way beyond me at this point which is why I started my DSLR adventure with a D50. Older camera, short on features (meaning not much of the new whiz-bang) and long on functionality. It certainly isn't in the same class as a D7000 however, its not the equipment, its the person behind the camera!

You have a fine camera and it will give you many years of reliable, quality service!

Stop worrying and start enjoying your camera.
I bought a D7000 with a problem and it was noticed by all much sooner then me.
Start posting a picture or too in the "General Gallery" forum and ask for CC from the people, they will not be shy in telling you what they think.
The problem I had with the D700 was a very well known and well recorded problem with this camera and I am glad to tell you that as far as I know the D7100 is considered to be a VERY good reliable camera with no known specific issues so I don't expect any problem with your camera.
I own a D7100 and it took me some time to learn the camera compared to the D7000 but once I did I found it to be an AMAZING tool.
Just go outside, shoot and have fun and most of all trust your camera because you are missing the whole point of enjoying it if you keep doubting it while its a great camera.

Most reactions

Back