Beginner Buy! Canon 550D/600D or Nikon D5100?

hunk143

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, this is my first post here.
Alright, as the title says i wanna buy a new DSLR! I've been using my Sony Ericsson Satio, iPhone 4S & Canon A2400 camera till now.

I've done my homework, went through many forums before posting this here and yes i have used my cousin's EOS 1100D for a while.
I know about DOF, Aperture, ISO, etc but haven't implemented them, so i can say i know it theoretically.
Here's a pic that i clicked recently wiith my Canon point and shoot camera.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...22970439.79082.334215779996840&type=1&theater

First of all i wanna know how would Auto Focus motor affect me if go for Nikon!
Like if i'm using a full auto mode then do i have to adjust the focus manually every time, if so then it sucks OR it depends on the lens i'm using?
I love clicking Marcos and i'm a big fan of Nature & Potrait photography.
Yes, with time i would buy more lenses but first of i'll go with Prime Lens. :D

Secondly, i'm not much in video recording although i have to record my band's videos and all but any video will do for me.
All i want is a good camera for photo capture.

I don't care if Nikon is easier to use or Canon is not, i'll get around it anyways now or later.
I just wanna be sure to pick a better Camera and not an easy to use camera.

Lenses, i do know a little about Canon lenses but i found Nikkor lenses series a bit confusing as they've sub divided them into three categories, anyways that can be solved though.

Cameras i'm considering are with these kits:

Nikon D5100 AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit lens (Dunno what VR means?)
Canon EOS 550D EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit.

--------------------

My Dad gave me money to buy an EOS 1100D but i'm just pushing my budget to buy a better DSLR.

Help me guys and please don't be biased if you're a Nikon or Canon lover.
And here's my amateur photography page, if you'd wanted to know how little i know about photography.
www.facebook.com/shutterbughunk
I know i suck at photography. :D :thumbup:

I use canon and had a 550d and loved it but at the moment nikon sensors seem to be getting more favourable reviews. Having said that both of those cameras will give good results

I use canon and had a 550d and loved it but at the moment nikon sensors seem to be getting more favourable reviews. Having said that both of those cameras will give good results

Well thank you but can you tell me about Auto Focus Motor? :/

If you go with the Nikon be sure that any lenses that you purchase are AF-S lenses if you want to use auto-focus, the 5100D lacks the motor to drive the the older AF lenses. VR stands for vibration reduction and works just like Canons IS.

You can't go wrong with either camera, both will give quality results. My advice would be to compare what lenses and accessories that each manufacture has to offor and base your decision on what is most important to you.

You obviously know about this already if your asking about it

First let me say all three of the cameras you mention are excellent and great value and that I am Nikon biased =)

The D5100 not having a focus motor means that the lens's instead will have the motor builtin. So you still have all the functionality and features as the ones with the motors, just the lens doing the motor work. The downsides of this is that lenses are sometimes more expensive (though not by too much) and you cant use older lenses with this body that don't have he motor built into the lens. Almost all the lenses made since 2007 by Nikon lenses now include motors so its not really a problem. I have a D3100 which like the D5100 doesn't have a motor and I have yet to want an older lens that a new version with motor wasn't available.

This site is great for spec comparison and evaluation comparison: DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Based on their scoring system the Nikon is ahead. This is a synthetic test though and doesn't show real work capabilities.

VR is vibration reduction - helps with camera shake

In the end one of the MOST important things that a lot of people overlook is ergonomics. If a camera doesn't feel right in your hands, you wont want to use it. So go to a store and hold them, try pushing all the buttons and just get a general feel for them.

You obviously know about this already if your asking about it

Yes, but David explained it that its in lens of Nikon cameras if not in Camera itself, thats what i wanted to know.

If you go with the Nikon be sure that any lenses that you purchase are AF-S lenses if you want to use auto-focus, the 5100D lacks the motor to drive the the older AF lenses. VR stands for vibration reduction and works just like Canons IS.

You can't go wrong with either camera, both will give quality results. My advice would be to compare what lenses and accessories that each manufacture has to offor and base your decision on what is most important to you.

Thanks a ton man. AF-S then it'll be, if bought Nikon.

First let me say all three of the cameras you mention are excellent and great value and that I am Nikon biased =)

The D5100 not having a focus motor means that the lens's instead will have the motor builtin. So you still have all the functionality and features as the ones with the motors, just the lens doing the motor work. The downsides of this is that lenses are sometimes more expensive (though not by too much) and you cant use older lenses with this body that don't have he motor built into the lens. Almost all the lenses made since 2007 by Nikon lenses now include motors so its not really a problem. I have a D3100 which like the D5100 doesn't have a motor and I have yet to want an older lens that a new version with motor wasn't available.

This site is great for spec comparison and evaluation comparison: DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Based on their scoring system the Nikon is ahead. This is a synthetic test though and doesn't show real work capabilities.

VR is vibration reduction - helps with camera shake

In the end one of the MOST important things that a lot of people overlook is ergonomics. If a camera doesn't feel right in your hands, you wont want to use it. So go to a store and hold them, try pushing all the buttons and just get a general feel for them.

Thank you very nicely put, I'll hold both Nikon & Canon to see which one's better for me. And i've already seen the comparison on various websites. Thanks.

There's another thing i wanted to know, you cannot control Shutter speed in D5100. So, if i wanted to click a pic of waterfall with that dreamy effect at 1/3 or longer, how will i do it? Isn't that a big drawback or i'm missing something here? :O

There's another thing i wanted to know, you cannot control Shutter speed in D5100. So, if i wanted to click a pic of waterfall with that dreamy effect at 1/3 or longer, how will i do it? Isn't that a big drawback or i'm missing something here? :O

You can. Shutter priority controls your shutter speed . In the d5100 you can go from 1/4000th of a second to 30seconds. The bulb option keeps the shutter open as long as you need

You can. Shutter priority controls your shutter speed . In the d5100 you can go from 1/4000th of a second to 30seconds. The bulb option keeps the shutter open as long as you need

Yeah, I'm able to control/change shutter speed.

Also in Full manual mode? I dunno why some people have quoted that its not possible to control shutter speed or they might be talking about video recording.
Thanks you jaomul.

It is written here that the D5100 has shutter-priority.

Like I said earlier don't base your decision on the body alone, in a couple of years the value of your camera will drop greatly and you will be left with an old camera and whatever lenses you accumulate.

Most reactions

Back