What's new

beginner camera advice

Moby Dick

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello, this is my first post and I am a complete newb in the world of photography.
I am tasked with finding a starter SLR for my wife.
She has an online business/website which requires her to post photos of her product.
The types of photos she primarily takes are macro close-ups and protraits.
I would also like a camera with low shutter latency, if that is the correct terms?
A friend of mine who use to work as a photographer for a major paper advised me to choose either canon or nikon because of the lenses.
So far, I am considering a canon rebel or a nikoon D3000.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John
 
If you can, I'd advise you to get the D3100 over the D3000 - it has a lot more to offer in my opinion.

I'm not up on macro photography but I've heard the 105mm is a great lens for it.
 
A good macro/portrait lens is going to cost you almost as much as the camera body.

To that end, you will also want a Nikon camera body that has a focus motor in it.

Consequently, I recommend you start looking for a used, but in good condition D90 (about $675) and a used, but in good condition, AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4 D lens (about $475). That lens has 1:2 macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm, and would also be suitable for portraiture.
 
Ignore the advise to go buy a Nikon and take your wife down to your local camera store and let her play about with the cameras in your budget. I made the mistake in not doing this.

Both The Nikon D3100 and the Canon Rebel T1i are good Beginners cameras,go with what feels right,not with what the sales person says.

After all,they do the same thing,dont they?
 
Thankyou for the suggestions, I appreciate everyones advice.



What's the budget for this purchase?

My budget is $500. That leaves me with not alot of choices, particuarly including a lense. Which means making a good choice is more improtant.
 
I just made this same decision. I went with the D3000, and am happy with it mostly, it is lacking a few features that I didn't realize I'd want to have, like auto bracketing for HDR shots
 
I just made this same decision. I went with the D3000, and am happy with it mostly, it is lacking a few features that I didn't realize I'd want to have, like auto bracketing for HDR shots
You need to do product photography too?
 
Just a FYI - You don't need auto bracketing; if you shoot in aperture priority you just need to change the shutter speed up or down to bracket. Other than manual that's the only auto mode I would use.

I just made this same decision. I went with the D3000, and am happy with it mostly, it is lacking a few features that I didn't realize I'd want to have, like auto bracketing for HDR shots
 
Just a FYI - You don't need auto bracketing; if you shoot in aperture priority you just need to change the shutter speed up or down to bracket. Other than manual that's the only auto mode I would use.

If you're in aperture priority, how do you change the shutter speed? That is incorrect...

You 'can' use exposure compensation if you don't want to use the manual method.

Manual mode is very easy - just set it for 'proper' exposure and adjust the shutter speed accordingly - everything else stays the same.
 
500 bucks for a body and macro lens will be pretty hard to do.......especially if only considering brand new items.
 
You know you keep on catching the stupid things I write! :oops: It's a good thing I know what to do in my head :lol: Of course any priority mode wouldn't work - you got to use manual if you're not using exposure compensation or auto bracketing. I guess the only thing for me to do now is to get a logo and turn professional. :lmao:


Just a FYI - You don't need auto bracketing; if you shoot in aperture priority you just need to change the shutter speed up or down to bracket. Other than manual that's the only auto mode I would use.

If you're in aperture priority, how do you change the shutter speed? That is incorrect...

You 'can' use exposure compensation if you don't want to use the manual method.

Manual mode is very easy - just set it for 'proper' exposure and adjust the shutter speed accordingly - everything else stays the same.
 
What made you think you need a macro lens? Im jsut wondering. What product are we talking about here?
 
On second thought, I may not need macro.
The product is hair bows and accesories for little girls.
Any suggestions?
Truth is, I don't know?!




 
stay away from the D3000 with it's CCD sensor. The D3100 has an apc sized sensor and 14mp. The D5000 also has a 12.3mp apc sensor. The Canon t1 or T2 are great cameras. Either of these four can get you going in a huge way. Just make sure which ever system you go with they have lens that interest you. Both systems are loaded with awesome goodies. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom