Beginner Lens Purchase Question

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

So I am VERY new to taking photos/videos with DSLR cameras. I just purchased a Canon T6i that came with an EF-S 18-55mm lens. I still have some cash left over and I'm looking at other lenses, especially while Canon's "Best In Glass" sale is happening, and I was hoping for some advice!

So the 3 lenses I'm currently looking at are:

-Canon EF-S 24mm STM Lens
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

What do I plan on doing with my camera?
I plan to primarily shoot videos with the T6i. Both fixed, short distance videos from a tripod and close to medium range vlog-type videos while walking/moving. With the odd far shots and nature photos mixed in between. But the primary use of the camera will be for taking videos.

That being said, after doing my own research and watching video comparisons etc. I still can't decide and would LOVE some input.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

You have first two lenses covered with your zoom lens. Seems like a no brainer to me.

The 55-250mm STM gives longer-lens, more-telephoto type images, and is a rather moderately physically long lens; the 24mm is physically a very short, compact lens, and one that is very sharp, affordable, and super--easy to carry mounted on a camera. The 50mm will act like a wide-aperture and short telephoto lens that will collect a lot of light in dimmer lighting conditions.

Both the 24 and 50mm are "prime", or NON-zooming, single focal length lenses. The 24 is multiplied by a factor of 1.6x, as is the 50mm, to calculate the focal length and thus the angular of view AS IF the camera were a 135-format camera from the older era of 35mm film.

For compactness of carry, the 24mm would be the most-compact; the 50mm lens would be second-most compact, while the 55-250 is around 4 inches long I'd guess. The 55-2500m is an inexpensive telephoto zoom lens, very useful for brighter light and for longer-range shooting in the 15 foot to Infinity range.

Last edited:
I still have some cash left over and I'm looking at other lenses, especially while Canon's "Best In Glass" sale is happening

I am of the opinion that you don't buy lenses just to have more lenses. If you can't explain why you need a certain lens then you don't need to buy that lens.

Like the famous Leica lens designer said, "The only way to truly get to know a lens is to shoot it for a year."

I have the first and third lenses you have listed. The 24mm almost instantly became my favorite lens, and it's the only one I'll miss (I'm putting all my Canon gear up for sale as soon as I get photos of it tonight). It's bright, clear, sharp, fast, and quiet, lightweight, and compact.

The 55-250 was never much more than a disappointment (though I won't be including that sentiment in my Craigslist ad).

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Hey everyone,

So I am VERY new to taking photos/videos with DSLR cameras. I just purchased a Canon T6i that came with an EF-S 18-55mm lens. I still have some cash left over and I'm looking at other lenses, especially while Canon's "Best In Glass" sale is happening, and I was hoping for some advice!

So the 3 lenses I'm currently looking at are:

-Canon EF-S 24mm STM Lens
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

What do I plan on doing with my camera?
I plan to primarily shoot videos with the T6i. Both fixed, short distance videos from a tripod and close to medium range vlog-type videos while walking/moving. With the odd far shots and nature photos mixed in between. But the primary use of the camera will be for taking videos.

That being said, after doing my own research and watching video comparisons etc. I still can't decide and would LOVE some input.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

start out with the refurbished 50mm 1.8 STM then see if you need longer or shorter focal lengths

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back