beginner looking for camera advice

J-man116

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am wanting to get into photography a little more then what i already am. i have always had an interest in photography and have always had point and shoot cameras. i have even worked at a retail store in digital imaging for a while when i was younger.

i dont know much about the digital SLR world. this will be my first digital slr camera and i want to make sure i am making a good decision. i have two cameras in mind that i think i will like, i am just looking for a little input from you guys on what camera i should get.

take a look and let me know

Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S IS
CANON Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S IS Digital SLR Camera Kit (with 18-55 mm Lens) - MSRP: $899.99 : Digital Cameras & Camcorders | Dell

or

Canon EOS 50D 15.1MP
CANON Canon EOS 50D 15.1MP Digital SLR Camera (with 28-135 mm Lens) - MSRP $1299.99 : Digital Cameras & Camcorders | Dell

keep in mind i am no pro. this is just a hobby - atleast for now

Both are very good cameras. No one can decide which is better than you.
Head to a store, hold the two and see how they feel.

50D is more expensive, better low light, somewhat bigger.
T1i offers video, lighter / smaller

Doesn't the 50D use the same sensor as the T1i?

I have had a couple of Canon Rebels and they were able to do everything I needed to get started. I just bought a 50d and it is big step up. It performs so much better in low light, shoots faster fps, and the 3in lcd seems huge compared to the Rebels.
Either camera will serve you well I am sure. Good luck!

Doesn't the 50D use the same sensor as the T1i?

Thanks for pointing that out. I did a quick compare of sensor sizes and specs on dpreview and you are right, they are the same sensor. For whatever reason, I was thinking they were different.

Same pixel count, same sensor size, same pixel density, same sensor type, same processor should mean the same low light performance.

:thumbup:

really? me neither, i had no idea, then what's the extra ~300 for? Better built body

Processor on the 50D is superior to the t1i I think (don't quote me) thats why I think it has better low light performance.
If I was you, I would get a used Canon 5D . Can be purchased for about 1100 used. Its full frame. Has better lowlight performance than all the above mentioned. Takes better pictures. And its more prestigious :) . Personally I'm not a fan of the rebel series, they feel like toys to me. And I wouldn't do they 50D, as the 40D is known to be a better camera (better lowlight performance) .
Just my 2 cents.

really? me neither, i had no idea, then what's the extra ~300 for? Better built body

You are paying for the better built body (alloy as opposed to plastic) Also the usability of the 50D is much better. You can change aperture, shutter speed all on the fly without having to go into the menu system like the t1i. Faster frames per second. Faster shutter speed (i think). There are a lot of reasons a pro sumer camera is beyond an entry level dslr. Just google it :)

i noticed on these two cameras that the one linse on the more expensive camera is larger. what advantages will come with this?

Hm, well I am going to disagree with you.

Here's my supporting facts: consumer reports.

The T1i is your best bet for an ENTRY LEVEL SLR. The Canon 5D is NOT (not saying it isn't an outstanding camera, but it's not beginner in any way). If you are just getting into the field, you don't want to blow a bunch of money on a camera that you won't use all of the features on.

Consumer reports recommended the T1i over comparable Nikons. The T1i has better ISO performance and is passable up to 1600 (first hand experience, as I own one). The sensor in the 50D and the T1i are identical. Same image quality, same noise handling. What I would do is spend the money on a T1i, save the extra money you would have spent on a 50D and get better glass.

I also want to take the time to note that if someone asks for advice for a practical camera for a beginner, that you shouldn't try and tell them to go spend extra money where unnecessary. I mean, really? How is that helpful?

"Hey, you are new to photography? You should go buy a Nikon D3x. It's got all the features you will ever need!!!!!!11!" Real helpful insight right there! Unless the beginner in question has $7,000 to blow on equipment.

Common sense, people... and reading comprehension. Fo' real.

If I had kids, or a cute young girlfriend, or travelled a lot, I'd want the video feature of the T1i over the higher MP count of the 50D. Also, the T1i is smaller and lighter and less conspicuous.

The one area that I think Canon's mid-range bodies (40D,50D,7D) are better at than the Rebel models is that they have DUAL controls, one for f/stop and one for shutter speed; the Rebel bodies use the lower-end :eek:ne-button" system, just like the lower-level Nikons do. That means when changing f/stops, you need to press a button and use the thumb wheel to change the f/stop of the lens.

The T1i and the Nikon D3000 and D5000 all treat the user as if he/she will always use the camera on a programmed or scene mode,and so the controls on the entry-level models are slightly stripped down.

Video mode and the T1i, or no video and the 50D? Smaller,lighter, less costly, or larger,heavier,more costly?

You can change aperture, shutter speed all on the fly without having to go into the menu system like the t1i.

Just to clear this up, being an owner of a Rebel camera, you can change the aperture, shutter, ISO all "on the fly" without going into the menu. The way you do it is not the same as on the 50D, but if I am in manual mode, I use the wheel to change the shutter and I hold down a button and use the same wheel to change the aperture. No menu needed, I can do so while looking through the view finder.

I would go with the t1i because you are a beginner and it is an entry level camera. The camera doesn't make a great photo the photographer does. The more expensive camera is superior but you don't have experience with a DSLR so most of the advantages will prob not help you. I dunno just my opinion.

The T1i is your best bet for an ENTRY LEVEL SLR. The Canon 5D is NOT (not saying it isn't an outstanding camera, but it's not beginner in any way). If you are just getting into the field, you don't want to blow a bunch of money on a camera that you won't use all of the features on.

Common sense, people... and reading comprehension. Fo' real.

Why? Please explain? Because IIRC, the 5D is probably one of Canon's simplest cameras. It has the better controls that every camera above their rebel line up has and other than that, there are no other outstanding features that it has on it. I mean, the T1i would be a more complicated camera to figure out. The only reason some one could argue that it's not a beginner's camera is because of the full frame sensor, but that would be a silly arguement.

So please tell me the common sense behind why a used 5D would be such a horrible choice for this person and why they wouldn't use all the features on it...are you taking about autofocus? Shutter speed or aperture adjustments? The shutter button? I don't think there's much more to the camera than that.

Is it because you think a full frame sensor isn't something a beginner should be privy to?

I would go with the t1i because you are a beginner and it is an entry level camera. The camera doesn't make a great photo the photographer does. The more expensive camera is superior but you don't have experience with a DSLR so most of the advantages will prob not help you. I dunno just my opinion.

Bogus. The XXD line and up have much better controls and are much better built than the rebel line up. I tend to recommend that any beginner that knows what they're doing and really wants to get into photography skip the entry level cameras and find a gently used mid level or so camera.

Your comment is basically telling the person that they're inexperienced and will never learn how to use their camera. It's almost like calling a person stupid, imho.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back