beginner looking for camera advice

I completely disagree with you, Village Idiot. I own an XSi (450D) and a 40D right now (from my dad when he bought the 50D) and I use the XSi almost exclusively.

Using my dad's 50D I feel I can comment on this discussion with a good amount of knowledge and experience backing me up (I also asked my dad who's been an avid photography buff for upwards of 35 years his thoughts on it, as well) as the T1i is *very* similar to the XSi in most regards.

Here are the strong points of the T1i: Smaller, weighs much less (less than 2/3 of the 50D), comparable picture quality because of the identical sensor in the 50D, for general purposes (with very few exceptions) nearly the same options. 720p/1080p video capture that looks *fantastic*.

50D: Faster burst rate (These are only IIRC, but 3.6fps on the t1i and 6.4fps on the 50D), faster shutter speed (1/8000 as opposed to the 1/4000 in T1i), much heavier and bulkier body (some people like that), better viewfinder and AF points that acquire focus slightly faster. Also provides a higher ISO rating (but even with Strong noise reduction on you'll see somewhat heavy noise at the maximum iso setting).

Here are our results: I'm 25 years old and very active (sports, Air Force, etc...) and I couldn't be happier with my XSi (even though I also have a 40D which is very similar to the 50D). My dad is a 60 year-old who, although active, uses his camera for mostly events (weddings, parties where he's not constantly taking pictures, etc...). He prefers his over the Rebel series by far (he had the original digital rebel before buying the 40D, then the 50D) while I could never be persuaded to use the "pro-sumer" line of 40D/50D for long periods of time.

The question is what you'll be using it for. I don't normally take pictures of F1 races or anything but when I have the 1/4000 shutter speed was *completely* sufficient (and the only lens I even use it on is my 50mm f/1.8) to stop the cars dead in their tracks (used it at an airshow and it looks like the plane was just hovering). 3.6fps is almost always sufficient except in very rare cases (at airshows I would like to have a higher speed -- my dad was with me with his 50D -- but I still don't bring my 40D because of the other things I don't like about it). The viewfinder on the 50D is definitely very nice, but truthfully I also like the *controls* on the Rebel line much better.

The 40D/50D has a beautiful LCD on top of the body that displays all relevant information, but on the Rebel line all of that information is displayed on the LCD on the back of the camera anyway...and if you're going to take your eye away from the viewfinder I'd rather just pull my head straight back than have to either pick my head up higher or lower the camera to see the info on the top screen. Of course, all EOS cameras keep the information in the viewfinder as long as you have some type of lock in place.

My advice would be to go to a camera store near you, play around with both cameras for a good 10-15 minutes a piece, and make your decision. Although my dad loves the pro-sumer line (and would never buy another consumer-series) he also agreed with me that you should probably go with the T1i. Going with a high-priced body is completely useless at this point in your photography journey. I know *PLENTY* of professional photographers that still own and occasionally use a Rebel-series camera (because of it's lightness and mobility) even though they have full-frame cameras in reserve.

Cliffnotes: I would recommend getting the T1i and spending a little bit of money on some nice glass for it. The quality of the pictures will be nearly identical between the 2 cameras so then it comes down to the other options. In this case, with the 50D being $940 new (body only) and the T1i being $620 new (body only) that would leave you with $320 for other accessories and glass before you'd even match the price of the 50D with only the body.

BTW I should add that the exact wording my dad used for why he likes the XXD line over the Rebel series is just that, "I have bigger hands and I feel more comfortable with a larger body that feels more sturdy". That was his *only* reasoning for going with the XXD over XXXD.

The interface on the Rebel series is *just* as intuitive as the XXD series (as someone who owns *both* can attest to). I honestly think the XXD series is *less* intuitive because of the wheel control being the main control (yes, there is a small hat switch...but a small hat switch =\= intuitive controls for most people when the obvious main control point is the huge wheel on the back).

Also: Comparing a T1i to 50D is one thing...but adding in a comparison to a 5D? Completely unnecessary in this thread. The OP said he's starting college soon for photography...which means he's *most* likely not loaded with too much extra money. Sure, the difference between a brand-new 50D and a used 5D may only be around $350-$400...but that makes the difference between a T1i and 5D around $600+. The pictures that can be taken will be *VERY* similar since he's not yet professionally skilled, and although the "well he'll use all of it one day" argument is always hyped up...it's like saying "get your 16 year-old a Lamborghini because although he won't use it like a professional now, he will once he learns to drive".

We live in a capitalist world...when he grows out of this camera he can simply sell it and buy another one with very little loss. Instead of fighting over what he should buy, just give him reasons and let *HIM* decide.

I don't own anything Canon so I can't comment, but when I got my D60 for Christmas last year I knew NOTHING about photography. By July/August of the same year I was really wanting/needing more features and sold it and ended up with what I have now.

If you can afford it, go with the higher end body if you think that you'll be using it's advanced capabilities in the future. Otherwise, you might end up buying twice and losing money. Bodies don't hold their value as well as glass, though if you do sell one that's in nice condition with relatively low shutter count, you shouldn't lose too much money. You can always leave the advanced features off while learning. Even the fanciest body in the world still uses the exposure triangle as its basis for taking properly exposed photos.

my .02.

BTW I should add that the exact wording my dad used for why he .

You're one of the few.

And having a dedicated control for that aperture and for the shutter speed makes it quicker to control and gives you the ability to adjust both at the same time if you're shooting in a face paced environment, something the Rebels don't allow.

Yeah man, it's way too difficult to hold down a button and spin a wheel to change aperture. I suppose this would be true if you've never been exposed to a "Bop-It".

Yeah man, it's way too difficult to hold down a button and spin a wheel to change aperture. I suppose this would be true if you've never been exposed to a "Bop-It".

But it's definitely a lot quicker to use dedicated controls for each, unless you've never multitasked before in your life.

So why is the original 5D too much of a camera for a beginner?

Okay, one word answer this time. Maybe you can understand this better instead of all the common sense, logical reasoning, etc. And might I add, I am pretty sure anyone that can walk and chew gum can hold down a button to change the aperture.

Price point. That's the reason.

Buy T1i, be happy with it, save extra money for nice glass, win.

Okay, one word answer this time. Maybe you can understand this better instead of all the common sense, logical reasoning, etc. And might I add, I am pretty sure anyone that can walk and chew gum can hold down a button to change the aperture.

Price point. That's the reason.

Buy T1i, be happy with it, save extra money for nice glass, win.

Really, I didn't know price point was a feature of the 5D that a person wouldn't use.

There was also a wedding photographer selling his backup for about $1300. That was really close to the 50D in the OP's post.

Then again, the OP could find a 40D for less than your T1i and spend the extra money on glass. But then, It's not an "ENTRY LEVEL SLR", right? So the T1i is obviously superior.

Your logic escapes me; then again, it's not very logical.

The T1i is your best bet for an ENTRY LEVEL SLR. The Canon 5D is NOT (not saying it isn't an outstanding camera, but it's not beginner in any way). If you are just getting into the field, you don't want to blow a bunch of money on a camera that you won't use all of the features on.

It's not too much camera for a beginner, so you'll never get an answer to your question:)

To the original post:

You asked about the difference between the two lenses on the packages that you were interested in.

The 18-55 is a zoom lens that covers from the wide angle view to a little bit more than "normal" vision.

The 24-135 does not go as wide, but "zooms" in further enabling you to get "closer" to the "action".

Depending on what type of photography you do, different lenses will be better for different things. You can always purchase the body only, and get a lens that works for the type of photography you are most interested in.

My photography experience is very similar to yours. I had used a Point and Shoot for a long time, and decided I wanted to get more into photography. While I could have purchased a higher end camera, I went for a "middle of the road" consumer camera. Like you, I am not a pro, just enjoy taking great (and sometimes not so great) photographs.

While there are a few features that would be nicer on a more advanced body, I am very happy with what I have. (Nikon D5000 - similar features to the T1i that you are interested in). I am now spending any extra money on my hobby on better lenses. They will generally hold their value much longer than any camera body. Go to a local camera store and hold different cameras and find one that you like the feel of.

Any DSLR will be a great choice to advance your photography hobby. Welcome to the forum and start posting your new photos on this forum and you will be taking great photos in no time.

Happy Holidays,

-Andy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back