Beginner needs some advice on what camera to buy to get a certain level of quality

Camera : Follow the three lowest Canon models that DAO has told me, and just get the best deal offered?
400D, 1000D, 450D ??

(Quite often in HK, the store is only selling a parallel import and there's no warranty, unfortunately I don't know the good wholesaler/retailers, I just have to comb through the tourist retail traps in Tsim Tsa Tsui)

And one other question, We have an old Canon (non digital) EOS ELAN II E, it has a 28 - 200 Sigman lense, will that lense still fit on the above Canon DSLR bodies? (400D, 1000D, 450D) not for any other reason than the fact that I can still use the lense traveling in the future.

Of course, If I want to choose between the 3, I may go with the 450D. You can take photo with this camera with Liveview or via a computer by connecting the camera to the computer via USB cable. Canon shipped with software that allow you to do that. (At least the one that my friend bought in USA).

With the camera on the tripod and taking photo with the computer maybe good for product photography. But don't take my words for it because I am not a pro on this. You may need to do more research on this.

If the lens works with your EOS film camera, it should work with the digital version of the EOS series if the lens is made by Canon. As for the third party lens, it may or may not or will work after it is re-chipped.

As for Tsim Tsa Tsui .... first I have not bought any camera gears at the HK stores before, but if I going to buy any electronics stuff, I will usually stay away from the stores at Tsim Tsa Tsui. Those stores are gear for tourists.

If you know someone overthere that can help you read chinese, you can check out this place.

DSLR 數碼單鏡反光相機 - 隨身數碼 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

This link shows the current street prices for Camera DSLR in HK. Some prices are for cameras that sold through regular channel, some others are grey market (which may not have manuacturer warranty, but may have store warranty)

If you go to stores like Fortress, they usually carry manufacturer warranty
http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/jsp/sys/Sf_render.jsp (Eng site)

I just noticed that the price they show online is higher than the price someone mentioned at the store.(i.e. Fortress store at Hollywood plaza in MongKok price is HK$4400 for 450D body vs online HK$5180 online)

But then again, I have not buy any camera gears in HK, so I am not 100% sure where is the best place/price overthere. But I know Fortress had been in business for at least over 20 years. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back