Beginner Photographer Looking At Next Steps

tlturn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all--I purchased a Nikon D3200 bundle about 7 months ago because I have always been interested photography as a hobby. It has a 24.2 MP and came bundled with some beginner lenses (18-55mm f/3.5 and 55-200/f22).

After reading a few short books on aperture, depth of field, camera modes, lighting (best times to shoot), etc. I was able to shoot some pretty good shots while traveling around and visiting friends.

I have been satisfied with the results, but I am curious to know what type of lenses should I be looking at purchasing next and will those lenses work well with my current body?

I do quite a bit of outdoors stuff, so I have taken pictures while hiking up mountains, while on strolls around the lake, and I also enjoy shooting urban architecture (day and night).

Are there any suggestions for an intermediate lens as a next step? Should I be looking at fixed focal lengths for any of the types of photography that I described? If not, what types? What are the minimum fstops suggested?

I currently have a nice DSLR book bag, and cheap tripod, and wireless remote and some basic lenses. Are there any accessories I should be picking up?

Thanks for the help!

This is photography. There are ALWAYS accessories you should be buying! ;) Seriously though, don't just buy for the sake of buying. Too many of us become afflicted with G.A.S.* and wind up spending a LOT of money on stuff that we don't really need and/or won't produce the improvements in our work we thought it would.

Before you buy ANYTHING, give it acid test: WHAT is it that my current kit won't allow me to do? If there's a definite answer such as, "Not shoot wide enough" or "Can't reach far enough", then it may be time to buy something, but don't spend money just to accumulate gear.

That said, there are a few things that I think any semi-serious shooter should have in his/her bag: A GOOD tripod, a circular polarizing filter and a speedlight.

*Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Added to ^ above

don't forget to start saving up money
A LOT of money
more than you think A LOT of money

seriously, the more you get into it, the more expensive it becomes when you look at pro level lenses, bodies, etc. But you should really keep shooting with what you have, and post images here for critique. Then you'll get good direction, and if you have images that would help with better gear, it'll be brought up then you'll have a good roadmap of where to go to spend money.

If you question involves what to buy instead of which one to buy, you don't need to buy anything. Buy what you need, when you need, and ask for opinions on the items you are looking at.

I loves me some prime lenses.

Get some nice fast prime lenses.

The Nikon ones with the gold ring on them.

That ought to cure you of that pesky extra cash.

:)
This is photography. There are ALWAYS accessories you should be buying! ;) Seriously though, don't just buy for the sake of buying. Too many of us become afflicted with G.A.S.* and wind up spending a LOT of money on stuff that we don't really need and/or won't produce the improvements in our work we thought it would.

Before you buy ANYTHING, give it acid test: WHAT is it that my current kit won't allow me to do? If there's a definite answer such as, "Not shoot wide enough" or "Can't reach far enough", then it may be time to buy something, but don't spend money just to accumulate gear.

That said, there are a few things that I think any semi-serious shooter should have in his/her bag: A GOOD tripod, a circular polarizing filter and a speedlight.

I can see that by some of the interesting conversations that I have read. I want to be practical about purchases, I'm not one who needs the latest greatest in order to make myself feel good. I care more about functionality, vs. added value. I love the ancronym by the way :).

I don't think that the kit telephoto is good enough to shoot crisp photos when I zoom in. To your point, I also doesn't think that it can't reach far enough (Say if I wanted to frame a Goose waded in water and I was 50 feet away). So maybe I can start there? Im not sure how if a lower f/stop helps in this scenario.

Thanks for weighing in!

Added to ^ above

don't forget to start saving up money
A LOT of money
more than you think A LOT of money

seriously, the more you get into it, the more expensive it becomes when you look at pro level lenses, bodies, etc. But you should really keep shooting with what you have, and post images here for critique. Then you'll get good direction, and if you have images that would help with better gear, it'll be brought up then you'll have a good roadmap of where to go to spend money.

I'm prepared if I have to go there! I think that I may try my hand at doing this professionally once I immerse myself into the art. Some of the language that I read here still fly's over my head, but I'm glad that I found this forum.

A nifty fifty would probably work wonders for you as a walk around lens. Most of what I learned about photography was taught to me by my nifty fifty, YMMV of course.

Well, taught by my nifty fifty and the good folks here, at TPF that is...

Just make sure you get one that functions on your current body.

Amazon.com : Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens for Nikon D3200, D3300, D5300, D5500, D7100, D7200, D800, Df, D810, D750, D610 Digital SLR Cameras + UV filter + Microfiber cloth & Cap Keeper : Camera & Photo

That one would do it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I can see that by some of the interesting conversations that I have read. I want to be practical about purchases, I'm not one who needs the latest greatest in order to make myself feel good. I care more about functionality, vs. added value. I love the ancronym by the way :).

I don't think that the kit telephoto is good enough to shoot crisp photos when I zoom in. To your point, I also doesn't think that it can't reach far enough (Say if I wanted to frame a Goose waded in water and I was 50 feet away). So maybe I can start there? Im not sure how if a lower f/stop helps in this scenario.

Thanks for weighing in!
That's the thing, you "don't know" and your not sure. When you do know those thing you will either not need something new or you will know what it is you need and want opinions on the best choice to fill that need.

Terminology - Start here => Digital Photography Tutorials

F/stop helps "DOF" Depth of Field ... in that link above as you go through it.
Shutter speed helps to keep subjects "sharp". The more a subject moves the faster a Shutter Speed you need.
ISO helps you maintain your exposure traingle for a proper exposure.

So you could have different settings for a duck standing there (somewhat slow), versus wading in the water (fast), versus flying/landing in the water (fastest) all dependent upon your cameras/lens /weather / lighting capabilities.

A nifty fifty would probably work wonders for you as a walk around lens. Most of what I learned about photography was taught to me by my nifty fifty, YMMV of course.

Well, taught by my nifty fifty and the good folks here, at TPF that is...

Just make sure you get one that functions on your current body.

Amazon.com : Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens for Nikon D3200, D3300, D5300, D5500, D7100, D7200, D800, Df, D810, D750, D610 Digital SLR Cameras + UV filter + Microfiber cloth & Cap Keeper : Camera & Photo

That one would do it.

I think that's a good choice, probably the next logical. I use the 18-50mm more than the telephoto.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Thanks for weighing in!

A bigger hole in the lens is always desirable! Even if you don't shoot it wide open, it will help the AF.

Also, larger aperture lenses tend to be built better.

I think that's a good choice, probably the next logical. I use the 18-50mm more than the telephoto.
Without knowing your total experience (aside from the last 7 months) it seems as if you're either making great strides or trying to run before you learn to walk.

Yes, the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G would be the next logical addition.

BTW: I use the 18-55mm most of the time, even though I have three other lenses.

Thanks for weighing in!

If your looking for a bit more reach, I'd consider a 70-300 mm zoom lens. I've used both a Tamron 70-300 mm 4.5-5.6 VC and as well as the Nikkor 70-300 mm 4.5-5.6 VR, both are fantastic lenses. I actually prefer the Tamron of the two, the Nikkor is an outstanding lens and has a higher build quality but I love the way the Tamron renders. This was shot with my Tamron 70-300 mm:

20140927t 396 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

Without knowing your total experience (aside from the last 7 months) it seems as if you're either making great strides or trying to run before you learn to walk.

Yes, the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G would be the next logical addition.

BTW: I use the 18-55mm most of the time, even though I have three other lenses.

Well, like I said...I have the general principles down. I have read a few books, and frequent David Peterson's Digital Photo Secret's website, which is phenomenal.

I normally shoot in manual mode, and I know how to make my adjustments. I think that I'm just a quick learner. Besides, I didn't ask for tips on buying the things that the pro's use, I asked for tips on lenses, etc that someone with an intermediate understanding would use.

I understand that one has to go through the motions and progressions. I have a few good shots. I'll upload them later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back