Beginner to photography, could I have some opinions?

natalia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, nice to meet you all.
I've always been interested in Photography and I'm planning on buying a digital camera to work more on my interest.
I am a college student and I'm also on a budget (max $1000). I've taken a photography class but I'm in no way a pro, obviously. My interest is in nude photography, but also portrait, landscape, fashion, a little bit of everything.

I've looked through several websites and I've found a digital camera that I think would really work for me but I'm not familiar with other brands, so I'm not sure what to do.
This is one that really interested me:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1ZWRC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header#moreAboutThisProduct[/ame]

Would this camera be good for me? I know that it really depends on the person and what I want, but nude/portrait photography is my passion and I don't want to waste my money on something that is just only good for someone who considers photography just a hobby and past time. I am wanting to really dive into photography, and I dont want to buy a camera that I wont need at all in a couple of years. I know that with how fast technology moves there might be more upgrades in the next couple of years, but I want this one to last a while.

Thanks so much in advance and I'm happy to be here, have a nice day.

--Natalia

This is really hard to answer. You never know how fast an individual will grow out of his/her camera.

The camera you suggested certainly allows for more creative freedom than a point&shoot camera. And with good lenses it will be a good camera.

It is an entry level SLR camera, true, but with your budget not a bad choice.

You could of course consider a used camera, which would leave more money to invest in lenses.

I agree with Alex B. One important thing to do is go down to a camera shop (even if you're buying online) and handle the cameras. Similar cameras from the different manufacturers (eg Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc.) feel different and it is important to find one that feels right in your hand. That is what swung my to Canon when I bought mine. If you get an entry level Canon with a good quality lens, you can keep your lens (and the camera as a spare body) when you upgrade.

The XTi is a great first camera. My opinion would be to go down to the XT which is very similar yet loads cheaper.. buy the body ONLY, ditch the kit lens, buy the 50 mm 1.8 which is only 90 bucks and would actually probably be cheaper to buy the body plus this lens that to get the body w/the kit lens.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the only lens one should get is a 50mm. It's a great way to frustrate someone in this age of 15x zoom and 1421340x digital zoom, especially since used kit lenses are like 60 bucks on ebay.

A good camera, and other manufacturers have competing products in the same price range.

Go to a place and see how they feel.

Got any friends who are photographers? Consider buying what they use... just so you can get some quick pointers from them, and possibly even share lenses.

did I say it was the only lens to invest in? I didn't think I said that... I said its a great starting lens to have. Its sharp and loads better than the kit. Sure, a zoom would be great to have but she's doing nude portraiture.. surely the 50 is better than the kit for what she is aiming to do. :)

Hey!!!
Wow I really appreciate all of your comments. It means a lot.
I'll take all your great advice into consideration. I'm planning on buying in a week or so, so when I get it and test it out, I'll update you on how I'm happy with it! :D
If I think if anymore question I'll let you know, take care :)

Well I realized I do have extra questions...
when I went to see how much just the body would be (w/o lenses) as someone commented, the price was more than with a 18mm-55mm lens kit. Is there a reason why this would be like that?

This might be a really silly question, but why would I get JUST 50mm lens, when this comes w/ 18mm-55mm lens? (I'm still learning :()
I looked through customer reviews for some other products, and I noticed someone said that it is best to invest in great lenses, which make sense. So I'm probably going to just get the body and then get the lens separately.
Lastly, I looked through some FAQ sites on lenses but I can't find an answer to this question. In photo shoots, I've seen photographers use really long lens, although it was a fashion shot and they were in a small room, or really close on the beach or somewhere. I'm sure there's an obvious answer - but, I really don't want to make a mistake of getting a lens that I will regret.

I really appreciate all of your help. It makes the decision less stressful.

The reason to get the 50mm over the 18-55 is that the 50 mm will be sharper and let in more light (larger max aperture, smaller number.)

Natalia, I think you made a good choice. That is the camera I bought when I first got seriously interested in photography, and I don't regret it. In fact, I still use it, even though I've since bought a 40D.

I was told that it was better to spend the money on lenses than on the camera body, and it was very good advice. All the Canon lenses that I bought for my XTi can be used on my 40D. If I were to upgrade to a full-frame camera, some of my lenses (the EF-S line) could not be used, but most could.

I would not start with a 50mm prime lens for the XTi, however. People often recommend 50mm because it's a "normal" lens on film or full frame camera.

There are some good reasons for picking a "normal" lens. See here:

http://www.vothphoto.com/spotlight/articles/forgotten_lens/forgotten-lens.htm

But the Rebel (and the 40D) have a cropped frame sensor, which means a 50mm looks more like an 80mm. Good for some uses, like portraits, but probably too tight for every day use. A 35mm focal length is closer to normal for a cropped frame camera.

And as someone else said, you may be happier with a zoom lens, at least as a starting point.

(I started with two zooms, FWIW. I bought a 17-85 and a 70-200.)

The camera has his importance, but if you're oriented for nude photography it's required to buy lights, a good flash, umbrellas, soft boxes, tripod, backgrounds, etc. Take your time and make some research for all of this. Good luck!

What Snowwalker said.

Unless you have a large, very private, studio, I would suggest this lens... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550954-REG/Tamron_AF016N700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html

Fast enough for most natural lighting and wide enough for most places.

I don't personally own this lens but it has gotten good marks from people I respect.

Don't get talked into just going with a 50mm f/1.8 because they are cheap and everybody likes them. They are great lenses but not so good at wide apertures and close range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back