Beginners: Do Not Buy The D40/D40x

Sorry, yes I am new. I didn't notice the thread was over 3 months old (plus my own post's lack of relevancy to the equipment topic). Thank you for your patience.

Sorry, yes I am new. I didn't notice the thread was over 3 months old (plus my own post's lack of relevancy to the equipment topic). Thank you for your patience.

It's alright .. This is a good thread anyway. Welcome to the forum!!

just look at it this way. You pay less for the D40 and pay a bit more for lenses with motors. On the other hand, you pay more for a body with a motor and less for lenses without motors. It kinda evens out IMO. I own a D40 and a D90. I bought my D40 second hand off a friend because I had always been into photography but could never justify spending 500 on a camera(let alone if I would even be remotely good at photography). After 6 months of owning the D40 i've progressed quite dramatically in a short period of time and felt limited from not having dedicated buttons and went for a D90. As for not being able to use the 50mm f1.8. Thats why nikon has the 35mm F1.8 now, which i own as well and its a damn good lens for 200. except the fact that i waited 8 weeks for it. LOL!

As far as having an auto focus motor in the body or not, others may want to note that no Canon SLR camera has had a focus motor in the body since they changed to the EF-mount in 1987.

Every Canon lens made in the last 30+ years has required a focus motor in it so the user could AF.

Last edited:
i dont like this thread. :(

the D40 was a grerat choice for me, and i have yet to be limited by it.
will i upgrade in the future?...sure.
but this was a great jump off point for me.

This is a very simple topic. Go to any online forum, type in D40/60 and see how many threads are started about these systems.
The vast majority of unhappy Nikon users own these systems. I am not saying that everyone who owns one is unhappy, but when compared to the complete lineup it is stacked.

Now do a search for D90/300/700/D3 and see how how many are unhappy. Seems like the proof is in the pudding.

this thread reminds me of a conversation i had with one of my co-workers who's also into photography and he said the same thing that buy once/buy big but then again my problem obviously was the budget so i bought the Canon XT and a few months later sold that and got an XSi.
he was right too because you end up losing money on the investment (purchasing a lower end camera) but from looking at my budget i couldn't get anything better at that time.

Yeah, I'm a beginner who owns a Nikon D40. Now that I want to take my photography to the next level .. buying lens ...I'm having a hard time finding lens that is compatible with the nikon d40 and auto focuses.

Should I sell my nikon d40 and and save some money to buy the nikon d80 ? would that be a good idea?

Yeah, I'm a beginner who owns a Nikon D40. Now that I want to take my photography to the next level .. buying lens ...I'm having a hard time finding lens that is compatible with the nikon d40 and auto focuses.

Should I sell my nikon d40 and and save some money to buy the nikon d80 ? would that be a good idea?

Pretty much all of Nikon's current lenses are AF-S.. they even have an AF-S 35mm prime.

The D80 is already a few years old and obsoleted by the D90.. I think it would be worth it to save for the D90 and buy a few good lenses in the mean time, rather than buying a D80 which you'll want to replace next year.

I can agree that when buying a camera model we should consider that lenses are an issue. I would recommend going to review website such as dpreview.com and see if the results of such camera and lenses work well with what you want to focus on.

I have loved my D 40, I am a Noob I admit it but it has fit me well. I kinda figure when I find the limitations of the D 40 and am truly annoyed by them that just means it is time to upgrade. It is also a way I can involve my kids, 11 and 15 with my hobby. I do not really worry to much but them hurting it.
This camera will get passed down to my kids, will it have really great glass, prolly not but I just started on this photography road. Btw my first car was not a BMW but it did not mean i did not love it or it failed to do all the things I needed it to do at 16, that was the start of another journey.

Most reactions

Back