What's new

Berlin, Series I: Memorial (9 pictures)

awe

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
It's been a while since I posted here, but I finally have some new pictures. This is the first of two sets I made in Berlin. I will post the second set in a different thread, because it probably doesn't make sense to discuss both sets in the same thread (since they're pretty different).
This set here features the Holocaust Memorial, which was built a few years ago (IIRC). Opinions on it differ, but I like it a lot. Some of the pictures were inspired by Giger's "Schacht" images. For most images, I tried to convey a sense of "drama" and of seriousness. I had quite a lot of possibilities: from the blown-out, high-key style todark, sinister and "nightly" atmospheres and images that look as if sketched or drawn. I like to think of those pictures as an exercise in working with levels, brightness, contrast and shadows. I'm quite contented, but I'm curious to know what you think. Feel free to criticize.

517830314_cc006f294a_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/517830314_b9c7f3042b_o_d.jpg


517859225_c7c797736c_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/517859225_5e100d04ca_o_d.jpg


517830450_e240743d75_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/517830450_1efbb37ca1_o_d.jpg


517857835_cb3a1307de_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/517857835_a093e7a0b6_o_d.jpg


517830518_62b42eea0c_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/517830518_e04664c95c_o_d.jpg


517859495_4437447b82_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/235/517859495_a83607edac_o_d.jpg


517830592_d97ad2acab_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/251/517830592_6dec203cbe_o_d.jpg


517859429_1d83d9f32f_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/517859429_be21fb864f_o_d.jpg


517831594_b0764ae4df_d.jpg

Bigger version here: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/517831594_3a64ad2282_o_d.jpg
 
Wow. Beautiful work. I dont really know what else to add than that. :hail:

Really captured that place. I especially like the perspective on #4, along with the short burst of color on #3.
 
i like them a lot number 4 is my favorite.
the composition on all of them is great.
nice work.
 
Thank you!

It seems that #4 is a favorite... I'm glad because I like that one, too.
 
I was in Berlin myself last week but only passed by the memorial on the other side of the street, being shepherded around the city in a group none of whose members showed the slightest interest in taking a closer look or even spend time on photographs. :-(

So I'm happy to get a glimpse inside through your eyes, as it were.

# 1 and 3 are my favourites even though having the green a bit off-centre might have added interest (would you please number your photos if you post more than two or so?). # 7 is overexposed IMHO - or is it?
 
Very cool. This viewpoint is something I would not have thought to capture the way you did it. I quite like it !
 
#1 is my favorite
 
No 4 is my personal favourite of your series here, too, mostly so because that photo is the only one that differs considerably from those that I myself took of the memorial back in October of last year. And now I am envious because that POV never even occured to me.

Again personally, I am not too happy with those photos that are so very blown out in the sky bits.

I have never shown my photos of the Holocaust Memorial on here, for while I took a good many and tried and tried to capture the drama inherent in that huge (!) memorial field, I did not feel I was successful. But after you have posted your version, I might consider posting mine, if only to compare. What do you say?
 
Thank you all, it's great that you liked it! Number 4 seems to be a favorite... I have come to love it, too, but that was actually the only shot I was unsure of.

@hamburger: Yes, no. 7 is overexposed, but on purpose. That's what I meant with the "high key blown-out style". It seems that it's something not everybody likes, but I'm quite fond of it.

@THORHAMMER: I guess you are referring to no. 4? Thanks for the compliment, which is really valuable to me since viewpoints are the one topic I have to advance in the most.

@LaFoto: Sure, post them! I'm sure you have some great shots.

Any more suggestions, anybody?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom