Best advice to pass on?

Exactly. So you've experienced this once in your life?

I've been to Oklahoma enough to know why it's so God-blessed FLAT............. it gets so hot everything melts and levels itself all out.

And I plan on being there this November.

I've got to borrow that line. Where in OK, will you be and for how long? Shooter and I are in the OKC area.:cokespit:

Exactly. So you've experienced this once in your life?

I've been to Oklahoma enough to know why it's so God-blessed FLAT............. it gets so hot everything melts and levels itself all out.

And I plan on being there this November.

Flat and hot does not sound good to me motorbikers want mountain and sharp bends

I've got to borrow that line. Where in OK, will you be and for how long? Shooter and I are in the OKC area.:cokespit:

I visit family in Dallas for Thanksgiving. So I drive right through OKC.

I visit family in Dallas for Thanksgiving. So I drive right through OKC.

I have family in Dallas too. But it's my brother and he's the youngest, so we make him come to Oklahoma for the holiday. :)

Hey people,

My cousin has asked me to photograph his wedding. I'm well aware of what goes into an event like that, and also aware that I'm not set up for it, nor do I have that level of skill just yet. I took the time to explain to him why he would be better off hiring a professional photographer to cover his wedding vs. having me do it. However, he got back to me a second time and having looked at his options, is still asking me to do this. He's planning a small wedding at his brothers lake house and all of their wedding plans are on a budget. After doing some looking around, he says hiring a professional is outside of what they can spend on a photographer.

I'm not all that familiar with any aspect of wedding photography and explained again to him, that a single shooter with a single camera at novice level wouldn't get him the kind of return he might be expecting. He insists that the budget is a determining factor and that I will "do fine" for the event.

So my question to those on the forum who DO have some experience in this... what alternatives can I suggest to him? I'd like him to get the best out of his wedding as far as photography goes, but I understand his budget concerns and don't really know enough about that field to give him alternatives that may be affordable.

Any ideas or advice that I can pass on to him?

Thanks for the help folks.

If he's saying all that then they don't care, nor put any value into photography.

Just do it.

And that goes WAY against what it is I USUALLY tell people, but it sounds like he's giving you lots of pushback. Anyone who explicitly states that "budget is the determining factor" and they came back to you because you're free... then just do it. I mean if you WANT to (cause weddings are a lot of work and a pain in the ass to be dong it for free), because if you don't, he'll just find some newb off craigslist and have them do it for the same price.

I know I'm in a forum full of photographers, but hey... guess what? Some people REALLY just don't care, NOR value what we do. They DO exist. And it infuriates me as much as it does the next photographer (because in my mind I don't understand how anyone would be okay with sh*tty photos of their wedding... or WHATEVER for that matter, but they exist :lol: ).

Those are the people I pass on and let them fumble through their own way, but after I've educated them once on the importance of spending on quality work (which it sounds like you have... several times... ) then I send them on their merry way to hire the girl down the street that they've threatened to hire because she's more affordable. More power to ya. Enjoy your Point 'n Shoot session. :sexywink:

ShooterJ, hiring a pro yourself as a wedding gift would also allow you to just enjoy the wedding as a guest, not work your butt off as the photographer. You might even get to be IN some of the photos.

I'm not a professional in any aspect of photography... doing this myself wasn't an option I was considering.

In that case, ignore everything i just said.

Better for you anyway. :lol:

Lol rose.. they actually DO want nice photos. But some people really can't drop a couple of grand on a photographer.

He followed my initial advice and looked around but it was outside what they could spend.

I got back with him today and discussed it with him again, based on the advice I got here and it's worked out. He'll be spending what he can and I'll help him make up the difference on the cost.

Lol rose.. they actually DO want nice photos. But some people really can't drop a couple of grand on a photographer.

He followed my initial advice and looked around but it was outside what they could spend.

I got back with him today and discussed it with him again, based on the advice I got here and it's worked out. He'll be spending what he can and I'll help him make up the difference on the cost.

Lucky for him that he has a generous friend like you with good judgement.

L

Most reactions

New Topics

Back