Best advice to pass on?

ShooterJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey people,

My cousin has asked me to photograph his wedding. I'm well aware of what goes into an event like that, and also aware that I'm not set up for it, nor do I have that level of skill just yet. I took the time to explain to him why he would be better off hiring a professional photographer to cover his wedding vs. having me do it. However, he got back to me a second time and having looked at his options, is still asking me to do this. He's planning a small wedding at his brothers lake house and all of their wedding plans are on a budget. After doing some looking around, he says hiring a professional is outside of what they can spend on a photographer.

I'm not all that familiar with any aspect of wedding photography and explained again to him, that a single shooter with a single camera at novice level wouldn't get him the kind of return he might be expecting. He insists that the budget is a determining factor and that I will "do fine" for the event.

So my question to those on the forum who DO have some experience in this... what alternatives can I suggest to him? I'd like him to get the best out of his wedding as far as photography goes, but I understand his budget concerns and don't really know enough about that field to give him alternatives that may be affordable.

Any ideas or advice that I can pass on to him?

Thanks for the help folks.

Best advice? Tell the couple to increase their budget or cut something out so they can have a photographer. Do them the favor of doing the leg work, since you do have a clue of what might be involved. Find a local camera club or search meetup dot com to find the aspiring photogs that are local and trying to build their portfolio.

Josh, find a local "Quasi-Pro" that does relatively decent work... you are able to judge that. There are a few out there... out of the millions that deliver crap. If you want to give a nice wedding gift, cover all or part of the expense.

Just be careful, they only put the best in the portfolios... and if they have 100 good shots, that may be the only good ones out of tens of thousands of crap images... portfolios can be misleading. And if you recommend a photographer, and they screw up... that makes for hard feelings.

Depending on how many people will be at the wedding (and how many of them you know well enough), you could also raise some extra funds, perhaps as a wedding gift, to increase their budget.

I know, advising other people on how to spend their money is easy to do ;-)

Josh, I'd add to what Charlie said. Would you be willing to talk to the quasi-pro and offer yourself as the second shooter? That might help keep the cost down some and help them get some good photos. Just a thought.

Offer to help pay for a pro as a wedding gift.

In all honesty the one thing I regretted about my wedding... well the second thing I regretted about my wedding was not hiring a better photographer. The only thing that lasts from a wedding is the photos. The food, flowers decoration and music are all a distant memory.

Explain this to your friend. Or I can do it for you because I am very charming.

In all honesty the one thing I regretted about my wedding... well the second thing I regretted about my wedding was not hiring a better photographer. The only thing that lasts from a wedding is the photos. The food, flowers decoration and music are all a distant memory.

runnah the idea of you explaining anything to anyone who knows me personally.. scares the **** out of me. I do like the input though. :lmao:

In response to Charlie, Ron, 480.. all who suggested that I help pay.. thanks. That's an awesome idea and I hadn't considered it (mainly because I was caught up in trying to ease away from it and think up a less expensive option).

I don't really need to risk a quasi-pro either... honestly, I have the finances to go with a better photographer and spring for the bill myself.. I loved the idea of doing that as a wedding gift.

Thank you, everyone who responded.

runnah the idea of you explaining anything to anyone who knows me personally.. scares the **** out of me. I do like the input though. :lmao:

Just based off of what I know of Runnah from his internet persona....I would TOTALLY let him explain ANYTHING to a family member....as long as i had someone recording with video.

Having my gun handy wouldn't hurt either... and maybe some parachute cord and duct tape. :lmao:

What is the photography budget? $1000? $1500? Twelve bucks? Give me an idea and then I can give you some ideas.

ShooterJ, hiring a pro yourself as a wedding gift would also allow you to just enjoy the wedding as a guest, not work your butt off as the photographer. You might even get to be IN some of the photos.

Most reactions

Back