Best Camera for Under $1000 ?

Ok heres first shot on a white background No changes to manual setting from before with New Canon 100mm Macro. Now I need to learn to set white balance the background looks bluish to me rather than snow white.

p2.jpg

lighting looking the best yet - but I agree you have a blue cast to that shot. Have ou tried shooting in RAW mode? that would let you edit the white balance of a shot after you take it using the computer.
The files are bigger than JPEGs and they all require editing before they can be used (RAW is raw image data from the camera sensor). Sharpening and noise removal as well as contrast, hue, saturation and other things must all be performed on most RAW shots since these are things that the camera often does itself when processing a JPEG (thus RAW shots can look softer than a JPEG till after you edit them.)

Thats what I am shooting in is RAW+L

Import and edit in photoshop cs4 basically I am adjusting the brightness and contrast otherwise its much worse looking in raw

You need to learn to edit shots in RAW. When you do, you probably won't shoot anything else. Canon supplies or at least they did a RAW editing software with the camera. Digital Photo Professional. Its fairly easy to use and with it you can adjust white balance, color channels, brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. On the Canon website they have some tutorials that are short and to the point about how to use it. I presently use it instead of my CS3.

PS, you appear to have dust on your sensor.

You need to learn to edit shots in RAW. When you do, you probably won't shoot anything else. Canon supplies or at least they did a RAW editing software with the camera. Digital Photo Professional. Its fairly easy to use and with it you can adjust white balance, color channels, brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. On the Canon website they have some tutorials that are short and to the point about how to use it. I presently use it instead of my CS3.

Its been over a year since I purchased the camera it may have came with the software but I have since lost the box. I will have to look for it. As far a dust on the sensor how can you tell? How can it be fixed.

Here are a couple more pics i took with the 100mm Macro in a light box with 3 shop lights. I plan shopping ebay tonight for a remote for the shutter, maybe a better photo tent and really in search of some good light.

I am keeping the XTi I just need to learn processing after the image is shot.

Pics taken in a photo box, 3 shop lights shining in and flash bounce off ceiling. ISO 100 1/200 F11 with new 100mm Macro lense

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Any recommendations on purchasing lights or does that need a new thread ?

Found camera box in attic and found my CD's for Digital Photo Professional I will give it a try

For lighting stuff, you should check out Strobist. Read the lighting 101 section (there's a link on the right hand side of the page). It's a really good intro to off camera flash, and will give you a good idea of the gear you might need.

I put an arrow on the two spots that make me think you have dust on your sensor. If you enlarge the image, you will probably find a few more that are not as obvious. Read your camera manual on how to clean it. Its easy. Or you can just post process the spots out. Also here is a link to Canon's Digital Learning Center. Lots of good info there. You can also follow the links to the Digital Photo Professional tutorials. It will also allow you to upgrade to the latest version free of charge. Good luck and ask anything anytime.

Canon Digital Learning Center

p2.jpg

Here are a couple more pics i took with the 100mm Macro in a light box with 3 shop lights. I plan shopping ebay tonight for a remote for the shutter, maybe a better photo tent and really in search of some good light.

If you don't have a remote shutter release, you can set your camera on timer mode. I know the XSi has a 2 sec delay along with the standard 10 second one. Not sure about the XTi. Trigger the shutter and move your hand. Shooting still objects, you don't need instant shutter control. Just a thought.

Thank you for the tips. reading sensor cleaning now. Also downloaded latest ver DPP :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back