Best Canon Prime?

MrNewMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but here goes. What would someone recommend as a good (affordable) prime lens for a Canon Rebel? I'd prefer under $300 (canadian). I've looked into a few, but would like to know what you guys would recommend? Should I stick with Canon? Tamron? Sigma? I should also add that this would mostly be for portrait/people photography. All help is appreciated,

Mr. New Man

I dont,know the price, but its about $300. The Canon 50mm f/1.4. I've heard good things about it. Also what focal length would you want?

50mm 1.8 about $100 USD, but not as buttery bokeh as the 50mm 1.4 about $350 USD

Edit: Plus the 1.8 has a plastic mount, the 1.4 is built much better

At what focal length? I love my 50mm f1.8 Mark I, but wish it were a bit wider -- in the 30mm range or so ...

I love my 50mm/1.4 and my 85mm/1.8 very much. Some friends love their 100mm/2.8 macro very much too.

Well I've heard 50mm works great for Portrait. Seems to be the lens people use as a default lens (the lens they bring if they can only bring one). So would the Canon brand be the best choice for a Prime over say a Tamron or other brand that fits the Rebel? I believe the 1.8 is very affordable, but after seeing a few comparisons between the 1.8 and 1.4 I found the quality to be superior on the 1.4. Here in Canada, the 1.4 is going for over $400 so I was checking to see if there is perhaps a lens that matches quality, for a few dollars less? (Not sure if the cost is related to it being the Canon brand)

50mm/1.8 doesn't have full-time manual, nor the USM motor. Google for some reviews to see what other differences there are other than bokeh. I'm also in Canada, but lately I reccomend ordering from the US and paying shipping+gst/pst -- it works out cheaper on most lenses. Check out Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Canadian Price Comparison - photoprice.ca (I found that site recently, it rocks).

i have no complaints with images shot with my 50mm 1.8, but im hearing really good things about the 85mm 1.8 and have it added to my list of lenses to get after i get the 70-200mm 2.8.

the plastic mount on the 50mm 1.8 i dont find is an issue, and wouldnt be so long as you're not rough on your gear (which im not).

50mm/1.8 doesn't have full-time manual
Huh? My 50 f/1.8 Mark I has full time manual -- did they leave this off the Mark II?

TMK, the focus ring turns on both as it AF's, thus, not FTMF.

I'd go with the 50mm f/1.4. Tack sharp, fast focus, well built. Except for the focus mechanism. One jolt and they break. Ah well, can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you have the shooting space I prefer the 85 1.8(my favorite lens). If you are limited in shooting area the 50 1.4 is a good second option.

Portraiture and people...my vote would go to the Canon 85mm f/1.8 EF lens. It is selective. Well-built, reasonably compact,reasonably light,and a superb value in terms of performance for the money spent. The 50 1.4 EF is a nice lens, but doesn't perform quite as well for me as the 85/1.8 does.

And the 50mm f/1.8 EF-II does not have full-time manual override, focuses slowly,loudly,and erratically, has a 5-bladed diaphragm,harsh bokeh, and atrociously poor manual focusing; it's the worst-performing 50mm lens I've owned,and I've owned many. I had one, and gave it away to my wife's nephew with the admonition that, "this lens is a POS whenever you shoot it toward bright light, so be forewarned."

There aren't many good lenses for less than $300 CDN. The 50mm F1.8 is pretty good for it's price, but the 50mm F1.4 is three times more expensive and still pretty good for it's price (it's a much nicer lens). On a strict budget, the F1.8 is OK...but if I were going to recommend on of them, it would be the F1.4 because of it's superior image and build quality.

The 85mm F1.8 is also a great lens for the money. Maybe a little higher than your budget, but lenses are a good place to invest your money. They will still be worth something when your camera is several model's behind the times and not worth much for resale value.

Most reactions

Back