Best Film To Use

jophassa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello, i just bought a Canon EOS 3000 SLR and have now begun the search for film to use with it. I looked in ebay and was overwhelmed at the sheer number of film-types available.

So, can someone recommend both a good quality/well priced B&W and Colour film to use.

DANKE!

There is no way to answers this question. I would like to give you my options on different films, but I am at work and need to get somes stuff done today.

What do you mean by saying there is no way to answer the question? Do different films work different types of exposure/cameras etc.? I noticed some have varying ISO levels.

I'm pretty sure he means that, given the large amount of film types, film speeds, etc., that there is no EASY way to answer. ;) He stated he is at work and will give you his recommendations a bit later. Jeff can shoot a mean picture; he will have sound advice.

I wouldn't look to eBay for buying film. You won't have any way of knowing how it's been stored. Try clicking the Freestyle link at the top of the page here, or B&H at the bottom. Great companies and they'll have anything in stock that Jeff could recommend.

I've used Ilford B&W films, Kodak TMax and Tri-X, and have had great results from them all. :D

Yeah, I was trying not to come across in my reply in an offensive way but my word choice created the feeling i was. But I wasnt.

Yeah, i wasnt too sure about ebay because a lot of the time they can be out of date, not refrigerated etc.

I will try out those links you recommended and wait for the kind Mr. Jeff to come back.
Thanks

Different films are better for different things. A lot depends on the developing and the printing. Even the same type of film may vary from time to time or place to place.

Picking your lab can be just as important as picking your film.

I suggest going to your local photo lab and use the film that they sell there. You will probably get better prints if the lab is familiar with the film you shoot.

The different ISO levels you are seeing, is the sensitivity of the film. ISO 50 or 100 is slow film...best for bright sunlight or when using a tripod. ISO 400 is mid to fast film...good for all around stuff but not as crisp as 100 film. ISO 800 film is fast film...used for sports or action...or lower light situations when you can't use flash. Faster film will have more grain, so the photos won't look as sharp.

The best thing you can do, is to try different things. It takes a while to really figure out what you like and what works for you.

B&W: Ilford Pan F for maximum definition. Tri X as an all-around film where some grain on enlargement is not objectionable.

If you plan to use a lot of film, consider bulk loading. It pays off. Also consider developing your own film and making contact prints.

thanks for the help guys! i am going to go to my local photographer shop and buy some of the contrasty ilford pan f. i like the idea of deep blacks and pale whites as it is what b&w should be about. i amnt too much a fan of b&w when it is impeccable quality and accuracy. if you know what i mean...

For B&W the big question is how and where you will get the film developed. There are two main types of B&W film the first is the traditional films about 98% fall in this group. The second are the C-41 B&W process films.

If you go with a traditional film my guess is that you are not really to process it yourself. So you will need to find a lab that still does traditional B&W. So hopefully it with not need to be mail it out for processing. You may need to learn how to process it. Or go with the C-41 films, this is the same process that is used for color film at your local mini-lab.

Ilford XP2 and Kodak BW400CN are the only two current C-41 B&W films on the market. But old stock of other types may still be for sale. Kodak is said to be better for making prints with color paper and Ilford with B&W paper. Personally I mostly use Ilford, just old habit.

With the traditional B&W films really not sure witch one I would recommend because I don’t use the major brand unless I get them on sale. Right not I have a few rolls of ilford fp4 that I got on sale. It has nice dark blacks IMO. But most of the time I use the hard to find Efke/Adox KB25 or KB100, so that not a lot of help to you.

First off, do you understand and know the relationship between film speed (ISO) and exposure (shutter speed and aperture) ? If not, read and study and understand, it's all very simple. If you don't understand this, you probably won't get very far because you won't understand what's going on.

That said, if you already do know and understand this, disregard the above paragraph. I'd recommend just starting with cheap Kodak color film. If and when you get into black and white and black and white developing, I'd recommend Ilford HP5+ as this has been a very easy film to develop in my experience.

Carefull on the B&W film. Labs are charging a fortune for processing it now. I would check their rates for it before getting it. I still shoot it but process it at home.

The best advice I can give is to buy several different kinds and shoot similar scenes with each. You can then make a judgment based on the results.

jophassa said:
buy some of the contrasty ilford pan f. i like the idea of deep blacks and pale whites

I think you'll find that Pan F, as a film, lacks contrast unless you process it accordingly. Generally I found it to be very fine grain yet quite flat. Not exactly displaying the deep blacks you are looking for.

PP

yeah Pop.. exactly what i was thinking... PanF is known for it's fine grain.. it doesn't really have that good contrast at all.. it's a very tricky film because you have to develop accordingly to get decent results... mostly a landscape film i would've though... stick to one of the more forgiving films like Tmax or Delta.

Most reactions

Back