Best Lens for low light 200-400mm zoom capability?

cjphoto2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Newb question here....Had a D40x with great experience and upgraded to a D7000 with Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Lens...very impressed. I bought a Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II Vibration Reduction Lens in addition for pictures in an indoor show arena for horse shows. I think I can still return this lens so school me what is a better option? I cannot use a flash in most all cases. Focus speed, image quality and zoom capability are all important with a budget of $1000.

Thanks in advance.

cjphoto2 said:
Newb question here....Had a D40x with great experience and upgraded to a D7000 with Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Lens...very impressed. I bought a Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II Vibration Reduction Lens in addition for pictures in an indoor show arena for horse shows. I think I can still return this lens so school me what is a better option? I cannot use a flash in most all cases. Focus speed, image quality and zoom capability are all important with a budget of $1000.

Thanks in advance.

Used 80-200 f/2.8 seems to be your only option with that budget. At least as far as I know.

I don't think there is anything that will suit your needs within that focal range at that price point. Sadly good low light performance (ie wide aperture) and long focal lengths cost - a lot.

An AF-S 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens would be your best bet, but even the older VR1 version will cost you far far more than your current budget (even second hand).
You could also get a nearly similar range with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens and a 1.4Teleconverter for a 98-280mm f4 lens - a bit shorter than what you want, but it would give you improved lower light performance - but its again costing you far more than your current budget allows.

You might see some improved performance with a sigma 120-400mm zoom over what you have now; but I can't be certain of the performance difference with regard to AF. Sigma also have a 150-500mm and 50-500mm zoom options that would be worth considering - again, however I can't say as to how the AF and low light performance compares.

I don't think there is anything that will suit your needs within that focal range at that price point. Sadly good low light performance (ie wide aperture) and long focal lengths cost - a lot.

An AF-S 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens would be your best bet, but even the older VR1 version will cost you far far more than your current budget (even second hand).
You could also get a nearly similar range with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens and a 1.4Teleconverter for a 98-280mm f4 lens - a bit shorter than what you want, but it would give you improved lower light performance - but its again costing you far more than your current budget allows.

You might see some improved performance with a sigma 120-400mm zoom over what you have now; but I can't be certain of the performance difference with regard to AF. Sigma also have a 150-500mm and 50-500mm zoom options that would be worth considering - again, however I can't say as to how the AF and low light performance compares.

So within a reasonable budget then what lens do you all recommend and how much do they cost?

This one as suggested above?

AF-S 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II....edit..holy crap that one is over $6K..that is out..LOL

This new one looks interesting. Willing to give up some zoom capability for low light IQ.
AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

Last edited:
Take a lok at the nikon 80mm -200mm 2.8 and that lens accepts a TC from nikon or Kenco.That will give you a little more reach. I am still using that lens I purchased in the 90s era

For $1000 it's really hard to beat the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

But you might also consider the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

I had 2 of the above, and made enough money from shooting action sports to get a very well cared for, though used Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S SWM SIC ED IF VR II Nikkor Super Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

But $1000 won't get you both reach and wide aperture in that zoom lens focal length range. There are some older Nikon lenses, but they would not have a focus motor in them and with your D40x would be manual focus only.

You might want to consider spending $1000 to upgrade your camera body for better ISO performance. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/514|0/(brand2)/Nikon

A refurbished D7000 would be about $1000. Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think you misread my OP..I have the D7000 now.

This new one looks interesting. Willing to give up some zoom capability for low light IQ.
AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

This will be too slow and not render great image quality indoors. I would not suggest this lens.

Oh Gary good suggestion - I completely forgot about the older Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens!
It's out of production now ( but only fairly recently) and its "new" price is ranked up stupidly high (its as much if not more than the OS edition, which basically means shops don't have any stock and are just listing it for the google hits now). However you might get one second hand within your budget (UK side I've seen them go for under £1000 - so you've a chance with a $1000 US budget).

It would be the ideal option - however you will want to add a monopod for support; its a heavy lens to start with and has no VR/OS tech to aid handholding - but that said for indoor action you'll already need 1/400sec or faster - but the weight will mean fatigue will be greater (hence the monopod).

If you don't mind manual focus or not having zoom you could look into older manual focus 500mm f4 p, 400mm f4.5 ais, 300mm f2.8 ais, 200mm f2 ais.

Although all of these would go over your budget in decent condition, they are professional quality lens at much better price points than the newest versions of each. They would all meter on your D700 as well.

Looks like I can pick this one up for $1200 or so. Tried it out at a shop today and I was impressed. I know not the zoom capability I was hoping for but the IQ and low light capability outweighs that. Thoughts? Recommended?

70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | sigmaphoto.com

Unless you can find a copy of the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 second hand then the lens you link there would be an ideal option. Yes it won't have the reach, but its got the wide aperture you'll need for the light gathering to get the fast shutter speeds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back