best macro lens for my buck?

Bolthead13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a D5200 and I'm looking to get a Macro lens for it. Right now I'm only using macro filters and extension tubes. I'm wondering what a good macro lens is for my
budget? Unfortunately I only have about $300 to spend. Thanks in advance.

You have the Nikon 40mm Macro lens which is a DX lens, its a good lens and will do the job but if you want to shoot bugs then you will have to get really close to get the details you will want.
Nikon 105mm both D and G versions are good but I think above your budget.
Nikon 60mm 2.8G is the lens I would recommend used, I used to own it and it was very good, super sharp and while you still need to get closer to the bugs then the 105mm lens I got to shoot enough bugs to know its not bad for that.
Its also a great portrait lens on crop senr like your camera and a general use super sharp lens.
I sold mine around your budget price so I expect you can find it in the 300$ range, there is also a Nikon 60mm 2.8D and while I never used this lens I heard its excellent too.

another option is a third party lens which I am sure some people here can tell you more about then me.

Good luck

IMO the best macro for your budget is Tamrons 90mm one, the previous one without vc

You could try the 60mm with a set of extention tubes.

If you plan on focus stacking and shooting on a tripod often, I would recommend an older manual focus lens-- something like a 105mm lester dine.

If you're not shooting insects or things that move, and can live with manual focus an enlarging lens (or a few) and a decent bellows will be by far your best bang for your buck.

I'd say the Tokina 100mm 2.8 or a Tamron 90mm 2.8 will are probably be the best bang for your buck. But remember that it will just be manual focus on your camera, but with a macro lens you will manually focus 98% of the time anyways.

Most reactions

Back