Best portable photo printer on a budget

Appletonshopper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My daughter has gotten invited to take photographs for a dog show. I'm looking for a printer that prints quality photos. It will only print photos. Any thoughts? It needs to be portable, because she will be taking it on location and printing there. I'm hoping not to spend a fortune on this, but I don't really have a dollar amount in mind. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Usually I find that on-location printing is best done with an assistant.
For on-site printing on the cheap there are the Canon Selphy 4x6 printers.

What size are you looking to print on site? What will they be used for? Is it a memento of the event for the participants or something for sale? I used my Canon Selphy for many of my daughter's Girl Scouts and Elementary School events to print memento type photos on site. Easy peasy and nice looking photos but not super high "for sale" quality. The easy part is that you can put your SD card right in the printer and crop/print directly from the printer screen without needing to have a tablet or laptop with you.

What size are you looking to print on site? What will they be used for? Is it a memento of the event for the participants or something for sale? I used my Canon Selphy for many of my daughter's Girl Scouts and Elementary School events to print memento type photos on site. Easy peasy and nice looking photos but not super high "for sale" quality. The easy part is that you can put your SD card right in the printer and crop/print directly from the printer screen without needing to have a tablet or laptop with you.
If possible, we would like a variety of sizes (4x6, 5x7 and 8x10). The photos would be for sale. Having a tablet or laptop there isn't a problem, because people will want to see the photo to determine if they want to purchase a print. If people have opinions on the best paper to use, that would be helpful, too.

Frankly, and this may just be me, I would suggest that you set up a web site and let them choose what they want and then have them printed. Unless you are basically not worried about making any money, I personally wouldn't purchase a print on site. If I am spending good money for a print I want it printed on top quality paper with archival inks. That doesn't come cheap. You would need something like this Epson P-Series Photo Printers

It's large, it's heavy and it's expensive. Sorry, but that is my take on buying or selling prints.

Last edited:
Canon Pro-100. $150 after rebate. Portable? If youre fit, it's about 60 pounds. Some of the smaller $100 printers probably do good enough for your purposes. I'm not sure I would charge much money though. It's probably better to take orders and deliver a high quality product at a later date.

Most reactions

Back