Best Practices for shooting in the rain.

Blitz55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
He guys and galls.

I live in the northwest (Washington State) and it LOVES to rain and rain and rain and rain up here.

So I was wondering what some of the best practices for working in the rain with your camera would be. Also ad if you want any particular tips for taking photos in the rain, anything a beginner should know to get the best picture?

Equipment?
Makeshift Equipment?
When to do it and when Not to?
Buy a big umbrella?

Get some rain sleeves. I think I got a bunch from fotodiox (I think) They are pretty nice and work well. You get 2 in a pack and they are like 4 bucks. You can use them more than once, unless you beat the crap out of them.

There is a difference between wanting to shoot, even though it's raining a little...and having to shoot in the rain. For example, pro sports shooters use pro level camera bodies that are almost completely weather sealed. These cameras can be operated in almost any amount of rain without problems....but they are also very expensive.

There are special rain covers that protect the camera & lens, but allow you to reach in to control the camera. These are most useful when on a tripod.

An umbrella might help, but you may need someone else to hold it while you shoot. Even on a tripod, it's not easy to shoot while holding an umbrella.

I usually keep some plastic bags and even shower caps in my camera bags, just in case I find myself out shooting when it starts to rain.

Speaking of bags, you'll want one that will keep your gear dry. Lowepro has their 'AW' all weather bags that have water resistant fabric and a built-in rain cover.
I also keep bags of descant (silica gel) in my camera bags, to absorb moisture inside the bag, hopefully preventing mold etc.

There is obviously a point when you probably shouldn't risk your gear to the elements, but too many people put their gear away at the first sign of foul weather, which is a shame because there are plenty of unique things to shoot when conditions aren't ideal.

Good stuff Mike.

Yeah Like right now I probably wouldn't go out but we do get a lot of drizzle and sometimes it can go on for days and I thought it might provide for some nice shots.

I figured I could probably make something up myself using plastic bags and rubber bands but thought you guys might have some great tips plus this might be good for any others new to the site in rainy areas. :)

Haha, Umbrella hat!

I was thinking it would be funny if they had a little Camera Umbrella. :lol:

Lights. Reflectors don't do much on cloudy days.

I put a ziplock bag over my speedlights.

Most reactions

Back