Best Tabletop Tripod for Light Box (limited room)

bmilcs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

I am in the market for a solid tabletop tripod that will allow me to get in really close with my Nikon 35/1.8g lens. I use a homemade lightbox, Nikon D7000 and a 35/1.8 lens. I want the option of about flat on the ground to extending at most 2 feet. I need it to be very sturdy yet easily moved into position and then locked for odd angles.

Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

how close are you going to be focusing on the product/subject? The 35mm doesn't seem like the best choice for lightbox shots.

how close are you going to be focusing on the product/subject? The 35mm doesn't seem like the best choice for lightbox shots.

That's my sole lens. I just started and that was what was recommended by many here.

Regardless, I need a tripod first and foremost.

That's my sole lens. I just started and that was what was recommended by many here.
!?

Why don't you place your light box on a table, and the tripod on the floor near the table?

!?

Why don't you place your light box on a table, and the tripod on the floor near the table?

?!

What tripod? Am I speaking a foreign language haha?

This post is to find out what tabletop tripods are highly regarded. I don't want a full sized one that'll go on the floor, I want one that can really get in there an allow me to shoot at odd angles. Plus I don't want to spend the money on a full size one.

I've really made my mind up and want a tabletop one.

Thanks again for your recommendations

I want one that can really get in there an allow me to shoot at odd angles. Plus I don't want to spend the money on a full size one.

That lens has a min focus of about 12", I think you're going to have a tough time doing what it is you wanna do with that lens.

I want one that can really get in there an allow me to shoot at odd angles. Plus I don't want to spend the money on a full size one.

That lens has a min focus of about 12", I think you're going to have a tough time doing what it is you wanna do with that lens.

I understand that. I can't afford another lens right now. I just bought my first camera a week ago with my first lens. I'm able to get close enough for the time being. I've already taken several shots but using the flat surface of the desk is holding me back. I want a tripod more than being able to get a few inches closer and not being able to keep the camera steady at different angles.

I know staying on topic is apparently not going to happen so what lens is it you suggest?

I know staying on topic is apparently not going to happen so what lens is it you suggest?

a longer lens that can focus closer.

I have no advice to give on a tabletop tripod that can support a DSLR.

The problem with the "bendy leg" tripods is the joints are weak spots where you can get movement under the weight of a dslr+lens. They perform better used with the legs wrapped around something.

The d7000 and 35mm is a light combination though, so you might not have any problems. I see the gorilla pods used more often for flash mounts than camera tripods.

I have an old table top tripod where the base unscrew and the legs fold out. I'll try to find it when I get home this evening and post a picture. I have a d7000 and 35mm Lens I can put on it to show you.

If you like it, and think it will suit your needs, you can have it. I will ship it to you free of charge providing you live In the United States. It has an adjustable head built in I think.

The problem with the "bendy leg" tripods is the joints are weak spots where you can get movement under the weight of a dslr+lens. They perform better used with the legs wrapped around something.

The d7000 and 35mm is a light combination though, so you might not have any problems. I see the gorilla pods used more often for flash mounts than camera tripods.

I have an old table top tripod where the base unscrew and the legs fold out. I'll try to find it when I get home this evening and post a picture. I have a d7000 and 35mm Lens I can put on it to show you.

If you like it, and think it will suit your needs, you can have it. I will ship it to you free of charge providing you live In the United States. It has an adjustable head built in I think.

Wow! Outstanding!

What a gentleman. Thank you so much for your generosity :). I'd love to see it.

I know staying on topic is apparently not going to happen ..

Dear OP: When a more experienced photographer questions your choice of lens, given the kind of photography you want to do, it was offered from a genuine concern for your optimal results.

Also, since you "want one that can really get in there", and yet you apparently do not want any of the several dozen tripods that are already widely available, and that can splay the legs to 180 degrees, I suggested the smallest gizmo that allows the legs to get out of the way.

Oh, well, thanks to the generosity of pixmedic, you will soon own a regular tabletop tripod that will splay the legs.

Just don't be critical when you see that the legs will still be attached.

Just like all the other tabletop tripods that you didn't want to buy.

Thank you for the concern. I don't own a tripod period and haven't vetoed any other tabletop tripod out there. I was curious about the Gorilla one because it looked neat. I'd be happy with anything and DO want one one of the widely available ones - I just don't know which.

Anything other than lying it flat on the desk as I have been.

Most reactions

Back