best "trick" to learn first

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by the5allens, Mar 25, 2012.

1. the5allens

the5allens TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    just bought my first "real" camera, a Canon T2i, with 2 lenses: 18-55, and 55-250. Started reading the manual, head spinning already. starting reading about aperture, quickly leading to ISO scale, which leads to ... I hope I don't have to master this whole manual to take great fotos

wife is still not convinced that we needed a new camera - our old point and shoot works just fine (true enough, but I get the difference :lol:). the key now is for her to get the difference.

here is my question: what is the one "trick", feature, skill, etc. that you all would recommend that a newbie learn first, in order to take fotos that can begin to justify the new camera ? I am not asking for any shortcuts, but just your experience on what one attribute of a nice camera makes the biggest / quickest improvement in the photos we capture.

I anticipate that we will be using the camera for regular old stuff - kid events, sporting events, travel, family / landscape, etc.

thanks for your input

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Understanding ISO, Aperture, and Shutterspeed. Don't put the cart before the horse.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DorkSterr

DorkSterr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Exposure triangle.

4. the5allens

the5allens TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have started tinkering already, played today with shutter speed while shooting the moving ceiling fan. pretty cool stuff, but got sidetracked with iso speed

5. the5allens

the5allens TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    great, thanks guys

6. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exposure triangle. Absolutely and without question. You will never, ever be able to understand photography until you understand exposure.

7. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Secondary to understanding the exposure triangle, which is absolutely essential, learn how to focus properly, and where to focus in your picture.

8. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Of the exposure triangle, leave the ISO at its lowest setting (100). You'll play with that one later. That leaves you with shutter speed and aperture. Play with aperture - start with the widest open aperture (that's the smallest number) and take a series of shots with the aperture closed down one stop from the shot before. Do this in Av mode. Upload to the computer and see what the results are. At some point, you'll be getting blurry shots due to the shutter being too low. That's useful information as to when that starts.

Do the same thing inside and outside. Compare your results.

As to wowing your wife - take your P&S and shoot a portrait of her about 5 ft. away. Then take the same shot with your new camera, using the Av setting, and widest aperture. The background should be much more blurry in the DSLR photo, and the image will be more in focus, compared to the P&S. Also, P&S murder the image in low-light due to noise reduction in-camera. Take a shot indoors (but still bright) with P&S and do the same with the T2i (but now, raise the ISO to 400). You should see pretty dramatic difference in shadow noise.

• Like Like x 3
  9. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You not only need to know what features, functions, and capabilities your camera has, you also need to understand what features, functions, and capabilities your lens(s), flash, etc have.

Then you apply the technical and artistic aspects of doing photography using the camera/lens/flash tools you have.

Here are some links to some of the basic, fundamental information you will need to know - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Tricks to photography for the total Newb in order.

1. RTFM. (Read The F#*!&% Manual)

2. Refer to #1.

3. Refer to #1 (If this sounds like I am saying the same thing I AM!!! You have to understand how to operate the camera unless you want it to do all the work for you in full auto mode. If that it the case then you don't need to know the answer to your question.)

4. Understand the exposure triangle. Good resource Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

11. Snakeguy101

Snakeguy101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I disagree. I think composition is the most important skill to know. You can put the camera on auto for the first week or so while you learn composition and get good exposures but if you do not understand composition then you might be getting good exposures and still end up with crap shots.

Of course to expand artistically, you will definitely need to learn the exposure trinity and how it works once you get basic composition down.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. shutterpals

shutterpals TPF Noob!

best beginner trick....use Aperture Priority mode. You choose the aperture you want (depending on depth of field you are achieving) and the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed and ISO for you. No need to think!

• Like Like x 1