Best way to get an assistant postion?

photogincollege

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone. I'm a photography major and I've been using Google to track down local photographers who's work I like and contact them for a potential assistant gig. I was wondering if there is a better way to go about it then this. Would it be advisable to join the ppa as an aspiring photographer, just use meetup or is there some other untapped resource I am forgetting about? Thank you in advance for the advice. I'm in Grand Rapids, MI just for reference.

Joining established groups would be a great way. It could be local photo clubs, or the national associations (they usually have a student membership option).

Or just contact local photographers and ask. The worst they can say is 'No'.

When I was looking for an assitant job, I just knocked on doors. Studio doors that is. :)

Now, if you are a photography major, I'm thinking you have some kind of commercial photo career in mind. As opposed to retail that is. And in that case, camera clubs and meetup groups are probably not the best place, unless you get lucky.

The first thing to do is to know what field of photography you want to work in (if you don't already know;) then you look up the best photogs in that field and you figure out what country they are all in; then, if you don't speak the language of that country, you start language classes; then you book a flight and you get going.

I don't know what is going on in Grand Rapids, photo wise, but I can't imagine it is very much. Be ready to move, even if it is far, far away. But don't start shaking in your boots, even if you have to move out of the US, it is probably no further than western europe which is pretty civilised, lol.

As an example, the same I always use, fashion used to be in Milan, Italy, and that's where all the fashion photog wannabes went. The simple reason for that is that you are going to learn 10 times more from a top act studio than you will from a third rate one. So, shoot for the top. And don't worry where it's actual location is.

Thank you for the advice so far. I'm actually leaning more towards retail photography (ie studio/wedding work) I think thats considered retail correct? I'm taking business classes as well as photography classes so when it comes time to run my own show I don't butcher it. I've looked at a lot of local photographers websites, and I usually get a no thank you. Do you guys think going in person with a portfolio would give me a better chance?
I wouldn't mind going into something like fashion photography but that seems like a much more exclusive field. Though maybe I'm wrong in that respect?

See if you can find any local message boards similar to TPF for your area. I post on this one that is Texas local and people will post listings for second shooters and tag-along opportunities. I would also advise you to get hip on your local scene. Gallery openings are on of the best ways to meet other artists in your community. Nothing will ever beat a good conversation and handshake.

What it is you think an assistant to a photographer does? Because based on my experience an assistant doesn't do very much, if any, photography.

As someone who assisted for almost ten years in Chicago doing studio and location work... For sure join PPA. Make some business cards that are labeled assistant, not photographer and put them up at local larger camera stores. Open a rental account at a local rental house, not that you'll be renting gear on your account for people, but every once in a while it might come in handy if you work for people coming in from out of town or the country.

But the best piece of advice I have for you is to buy a van. I don't know how many times we hired a second or third assistant because they had a van and could pick up rental gear.

Also learn as much as you can about lighting, so many assistants know all about every camera but when you put a strobe in front of them they blank out...

As someone who assisted for almost ten years in Chicago doing studio and location work... For sure join PPA. Make some business cards that are labeled assistant, not photographer and put them up at local larger camera stores. Open a rental account at a local rental house, not that you'll be renting gear on your account for people, but every once in a while it might come in handy if you work for people coming in from out of town or the country.

But the best piece of advice I have for you is to buy a van. I don't know how many times we hired a second or third assistant because they had a van and could pick up rental gear.

Also learn as much as you can about lighting, so many assistants know all about every camera but when you put a strobe in front of them they blank out...

Some solid advice there, I love the tip on buying a van!

Does your college program have any contacts that they can refer you to?

I will look into the programs at my college to see if there are any. I did make good friends with one of my professors and while he doesn't take on assistants maybe he knows somebody who will. And as to what I think an assistant to a photographer does I have no illusions. I fully expect to be a pack mule for a decent length of time lol.

I will look into the programs at my college to see if there are any. I did make good friends with one of my professors and while he doesn't take on assistants maybe he knows somebody who will. And as to what I think an assistant to a photographer does I have no illusions. I fully expect to be a pack mule for a decent length of time lol.

Depends on if you go with a location or studio photographer. If you pick a location guy for sure, if it's a studio guy it might be more running errands and make coffee and helping other assistants (prop/food,stylists) haul stuff up or down to their car. In Michigan you might be lucky enough to find a studio car shooter, you'll learn a lot about lighting.

Also make sure you know where all the rental houses in your area are, keep a list in your pocket/bag. Having your own smart phone/lap top is a good idea too in case he needs you to do research. He'll have one but having your own is nice in case he needs his for other stuff.

If you go with a location guy having a bag of some commonly forgotten/needed items around is a good idea, AA batteries, extension cord, gaffers tape.

Start shooting good.. you will have no problem finding one.

I'm more along the lines of the just ask kind of person. A few years back, I sent a few PM's to people that were in my area. One turned me down out right saying we didn't shoot the same kind of stuff and it wouldn't be beneficial, and the second asked if I could work on Saturday. Been shooting with her for a few years now.

About 6 months ago when things were kind of slow, I also did the 'calling around' thing. I mostly left messages. I would say about 2/3rds of them called me back and asked to see a website. Didn't have one so it kind of stalled out from there and while some showed some interest, I never followed up because things picked up again.

As far as advice, I would say get a portfolio together, have the link handy, and hit the phone book or the google search. Money can often be a touchy subject, so you can either decide on a rate and not compromise, or decide to do the first shoot as an 'interview'. I wouldn't ever use the word 'free'. Just goes to show that you don't value your contribution. That is why I would phrase it as an interview. If you get hired on for later, well, that's great. If not, then you have some experience, and you can follow up with that person in a few weeks and ask them what you could have done better. That may result in a second interview or it may just give you some useful feedback. Either way, if you have already shot/assisted with the person 2 times and they still don't want to pay you for a third, you need to move on, because at that point, if you aren't learning a ton during the shoots, you are just being exploited.

FWIW, I've been paid for every assistant job I've done, even when I didn't ask for compensation.

Hello everyone. I'm a photography major and I've been using Google to track down local photographers who's work I like and contact them for a potential assistant gig. I was wondering if there is a better way to go about it then this. Would it be advisable to join the ppa as an aspiring photographer, just use meetup or is there some other untapped resource I am forgetting about? Thank you in advance for the advice. I'm in Grand Rapids, MI just for reference.

agreed!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back