Black and White Fashion Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from a shoot I did last April. The designer picked his favorites and I edited them right after the shoot, but picking my favorites and editing them has been taking much longer between other projects. I went through all the RAW files again tonight and decided to edit this one. One reason I loved this shoot was because the clothing designer rented a Canon 85mm f/1.2L for me to use, which I had never had the chance to play with before this. I really loved it, but honestly I think the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is going to be my next lens purchase; the Canon is just way too expensive!

Captured in all natural light.
screen_shot_2015_10_12_at_9_24_00_pm_by_danostergren-d9cxuw7.png

untitled_by_danostergren-d9d12ye.jpg

Last edited:

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
liked her as a model and this one is one of the nicest you posted of her

FITBMX

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I remember her from the other post. Great job, and I agree with you on Canon lenses, they cost a lot more!

OP
DanOstergren

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And one more of the same outfit.
I remember her from the other post. Great job, and I agree with you on Canon lenses, they cost a lot more!
Thank you. And yeah, I wish this wasn't such an expensive hobby; I'm terrible at saving up money, so it's rare that I make a camera or lens upgrade.

rexbobcat

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I feel like the crop on the first is a little tight, or something. I like the second better. The somewhat masculine pose works well with the styling.

OP
DanOstergren

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the crop on the first is a little tight, or something. I like the second better. The somewhat masculine pose works well with the styling.
Thanks for the feedback. I like the pose in the 2nd as well; it makes her look very strong to me.

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I like - i was editing a shoot of a girl i did the other day and thought - how would DAN edit this???? you are under my skin :)

FITBMX

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thank you. And yeah, I wish this wasn't such an expensive hobby; I'm terrible at saving up money, so it's rare that I make a camera or lens upgrade.

That's why my last lens I bought was a 1970's OM mount lens, old but worth the 20 bucks!:lol:

OP
DanOstergren

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like - i was editing a shoot of a girl i did the other day and thought - how would DAN edit this???? you are under my skin :)
Haha, that's a good thing right?

OP
DanOstergren

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's why my last lens I bought was a 1970's OM mount lens, old but worth the 20 bucks!:lol:
Nice! I haven't bought a lens in 2 years. It was my 135mm, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 to replace it. After that I want a 35mm.

FITBMX

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Nice! I haven't bought a lens in 2 years. It was my 135mm, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 to replace it. After that I want a 35mm.

That's what the old 70' lens is, 135mm f/2.8. A 85mm f/1.4 would be great lens to have, I see why you want one! :)

daisyish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I actually like photo 1 better than photo 2. I like the tight crop and think the model's pose is more unique than the second one. Both are really good though really impressed with your work! :1247:

OP
DanOstergren

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what the old 70' lens is, 135mm f/2.8. A 85mm f/1.4 would be great lens to have, I see why you want one! :)
I bet that old 135mm can still render a beautiful photo. What body do you use it on?

I love my 135mm, but it can be a pain in the ass to use sometimes because of it's long focal length. I feel like an 85mm f/1.4 would give me an almost identical look and is a much easier focal length to work with.

Most reactions