Books! Help me please. =)

SNBniko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I've been reading this site a lot, and everyone mentions books to help learn various aspects of photography. I tried making a post-it note on my 'puter to keep track of them, but I lost the sticky. (Don't hire me as a secretary, I'm awful with paperwork)...

So! Give me your favorite photography books! Any aspect is fine, if you've got a lot of books you really love, post them all!

Thanks for the help, and I am really learning a lot by lurking here. =)

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a classic.

Anything by John Shaw and Joe McDonald (both wildlife photographers). Johns books are especailly popular with those getting into wildlife photography whilst I've found Joe's (the few that I have) to be a great informative resource.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1 by Scott Kelby is good.

I'm reading Light: Science and magic and recently read The hotshoe diaries (for flash phorography). The latter is also a fun reading.

Bumping to say that I ordered:

Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

John Shaw's Landscape Photography

John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

The Digital Photography Book

The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers

I am going to have some serious reading to do! haha

The Digital Photography book is a good starting book - however its only what I would call light reading. It gives someone a good idea of where to start with subjects - ie what gear, settings to use - without going into any great depth on any key method or subject area as such. As a result its a great book for someone really just getting their feet wet and needing something just to give them a light pointer. Other books like Understanding Exposure build right on from there by going into much more detail for the beginner.

You could look at other peoples work, here just a few books i have

Vietnam Inc. Philip Jones Griffin (shot as an anti Vietnam)

Personal Best. Elliot Erwitt

The Man, The Image, The World. Henry Cartier Bresson

At Work. Annie Leibovitz

Overread: okay, that's fine... I'll flip through it and perhaps send it on it's way. =)

gsgary, that's a really good idea. I have a lot of Robert Vavra, Arthus-Bertrand, and I recently noticed an entire hallway of Ansel Adams stuff in one of the buildings on campus. I can't believe I didn't see it before... I'm in that building every day. I must be running late all the time, haha. I've noticed that 'photo books' are generally VERY expensive... I'll google the people you listed and see if they have online galleries. Thanks!

If you're looking at photo books always make sure you find out if they are printed properly or sinfully!
There seems to be this fad in printing two page spreads of a single photo in many and this totally fails for books - you get the binding in the middle and thus a whole section of the photo is missing as it curls into the book. Smaller prints that fill a single page are far more impressive because you can view the photo as a whole and not with a jarring middle missing
*Glares at the BBC!*

Visit www.cambridgeincolor.com and read all the tutorials.

Amazon.com has all the books you could need. I have posted book list links several times. This question pops up at least 2 twice a month so you could always use the forum's search feature to find even more book recommendations.

Talk about a good candidate for a sticky thread, but few ever look at those either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back