Boudoir - do you think women prefer female photographers?

I'll do yours when you come to Denver Emily!

Okay! So far...

28 girls voted for "I would prefer a female photographer"

1 girl voted for "I would prefer a male photographer"

3 girls voted for "Either would be fine"

Here's what some of the girls had to say so far:

"I would say female as male shoots like to overly sexualised where as a female shoot can do it classy and elegant whilst still being provocative!"

"I voted female. I haven't really seriously considered having this done, but my best friend did and seemed really comfortable with the woman who took them.

Also, my DH isn't the jealous type, but I think that he might be uncomfortable with the idea of a man doing this type of shoot for me, or might feel a little bit betrayed if I did them as a surprise and he found out a man had done the pics. I know that a good photographer would be a professional and would not cross any lines, but he might not like knowing that another man has seen me with so little clothing (and I'm not sure that I would like that either). That is just my thought.

ETA: I have been to male gynos before. So I guess my response might not really be fair, but I still have the same opinion. Maybe it's because the purpose of the photo shoot is to make you look sexy and beautiful, while I see a dr as very sterile and not looking at me in the same way as a photographer would. I would want a photographer to be very visual and focused on my features. I don't know if I'm making sense but I tried.
wink.png
"

"I have done two boudoir shoots, both with a female. Personally, I feel more comfortable showcasing my flaws to a fellow woman than a man. I just feel like it's one of those 'Oh, you understand my hatred for my stretch marks in my thighs" haha. Also, I know my husband would not be comfortable with me being all "sexy" in a thong in front of another male.

I would not be totally opposed to a gay man however lol.

Now, none of this means that a female is BETTER at taking these types of shots. I think a good photographer is a good photographer, regardless of gender. However, unless I became some sort of model who does this sort of thing for work, I would choose a woman every time for any future shoots I do. "

"A woman. My photog was a woman and she was fantastic. She completely understood the look I was going for and she made me sooo comfortable. She made it a lot of fun. And when I ran out of ideas for poses, she was able suggest some and show me how to pose...whether it was booty out, bent leg, toe point, etc. I don't think a man would have been able get in there and *really* show me how to pose. Since my photog had extensive experience in boudoir/pin-up, not only did she know what looked good or were classic period poses, she knew what men liked to see. Plus....I was far more comfortable with her getting an "up skirt" shot, then I ever would have been with a man.

She also gave out a goody bag of make-up at the end of the shoot. It was a nice surprise. I don't see a man doing that.
tongue0020.gif
"

"I put female, but it has little to do with my personal comfort level. I have always been able to separate myself from the situation if I understand the professional nature of the one looking at me. For instance, three weeks ago, I whipped my shirt off for my PCP without a second thought. I was halfway through taking it off before he suggested that I put on a gown while he stepped out of the room.

I chose female because I think my husband would be more comfortable with that. I have done a boudoir shoot before. My SIL, who has photography degree, took the pictures and edited them for me. They were awesome, and I would love to do it again some day. However, as soon as his initial shock and awe wore off, DH asked who took them. I just think that it would make him feel uncomfortable if it had been a man."

I only copy/pasted the responses that gave me permission to.. but as a whole the girls that voted "either way" compared it to their gyno saying that it doesn't matter to them whether that's a man or a woman either.

Some of the other girls that voted for female only specifically mentioned that even if the male photographer was SUPER professional... and they don't doubt that there aren't plenty... they STILL wouldn't do a boudoir shoot with them because *they* would still be uncomfortable... or their husbands would be uncomfortable with the idea.

A lot of the girls that want female photogs only mentioned that they feel a female would understand their insecurities a little better, since she too, is a female, and probably has the same insecurities, or at least did at one time.

I'll do yours when you come to Denver Emily!

As long as you don't mind my husband standing in the corner with his .45... because that's the only way he'd let me pose for a guy in my skivvies. :biglaugh:

LOL, YES! Speaking as a husband and .40 owner, two thumbs up for that scenario. How's that for pressure, Mr. Photog? bahaha

The vote is now:

32 girls voted for "I would prefer a female photographer"

1 girl voted for "I would prefer a male photographer"

3 girls voted for "Either would be fine"

With a new quote permission:

I would say female as male shoots like to overly sexualised where as a female shoot can do it classy and elegant whilst still being provocative!
"I would agree with this. Since I'm working so hard to lose my extra weight, I've decided when I hit my goal weight, I'm going to get boudoir photos done.

I've looked at some places in OKC and the ones done by males seem very almost trashy. While the ones done by females seem more elegant and beautiful.

So, from what I've been looking at, I would say female."

I would say female too. I think it is weird to do all those sexy poses for a man other than your partner. I could possibly do a gay man, but female would be top choice.

What if the female photographer is a lesbian? How would that be any different then a straight male photographer?

Or what if the male photographer is gay? Would that make a difference?

I've had boudoir photos done by a male. In fact, the only photographer in my small town that does boudoir photos is a male. I, honestly don't see what the difference is. As long as the photographer is professional and their work is good then I don't think sex should really matter.

But, if your uncomfortable with the photographer (male or female) then you should obviously find one better suited to you.

I think that It’s not mandatory for a boudoir photographer to shoot woman in privates. I know if a photographer is well known person than woman won’t hesitate for photo shoot. I will say that boudoir photography is totally professional and I haven’t heard a single case in which photographer assault their models.
boudoir photography

Women who only "talk" about having boudoir photos done....hmmm...I think a lot of them have issues with their own body image and or sexuality...

I haven’t heard a single case in which photographer assault their models.

Then you're living under a rock, because it's happened. :lol: Maybe not ALL the time, but it's happened.

I was reading about a local photographer just earlier today who has models coming out stating that the male photographer they worked with, made advances on them during a nude shoot, and the models cut the shoot short and got the hell outta dodge.

It happens. :p

e.rose said:
Then you're living under a rock, because it's happened. :lol: Maybe not ALL the time, but it's happened.

I was reading about a local photographer just earlier today who has models coming out stating that the male photographer they worked with, made advances on them during a nude shoot, and the models cut the shoot short and got the hell outta dodge.

It happens. :p

I was gonna say thats pretty much impossible to say its never happened.

I know there's plenty of women that would do the photo-shoot with either or. I think the percent vary a lot from city to city.

Thank you so much, and special thanks to Emily! It's been a huge help, now I know it will be a waste of time (and money) for me :grumpy: :meh:

PS: "I know there's plenty of women that would do the photo-shoot with either or. I think the percent vary a lot from city to city" Hey, that's a new light! :D

Thank you so much, and special thanks to Emily! It's been a huge help, now I know it will be a waste of time (and money) for me :grumpy: :meh:

PS: "I know there's plenty of women that would do the photo-shoot with either or. I think the percent vary a lot from city to city" Hey, that's a new light! :D

I don't think it'd be a waste of time or money at all.

Sure a large percentage of the girls on *that forum* say they would only shoot with a female boudoir photographer, but I know a lot of girls who have shot with males in their underwear or less. :lol:

As long as you aren't depending on boudoir shoots as your *sole income* photographically speaking *right away*... I think you'll be fine. And as word passes, the more boudoir shoots you do, the more their friends will tell their friends how comfortable they were with you (provided you gave them a good experience) and the more clients you'll get.

Just because some of us prefer to shoot with a female in that situation, doesn't mean we ALL do. :lol:

There were a few more girls that chimed in saying that they wouldn't care either way... and one more girl said they'd prefer a male because "guys know what guys like".

I haven't updated the most recent numbers, but off the top of my head, those were the last few posts I saw... girls talking about not caring either way... or specifically wanting a guy... Let me go look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back