Brand "snobbery" ?

gtaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought into Canon several years ago, mainly because I had come to the conclusion that it offered the widest choices for lenses.

I haven't regretted my decision, but it seems (based on a couple of other forums that I frequent) that the general consensus now is that Nikon is the way to go . Evidently the "experts" on those forums have an opinion that Canon has dropped the ball lately with it's "marginal" upgrades in any given model line.

Not being an expert, I have no opinion one over the other as far as bodies go. I think that they are both excellent systems, and for someone who will most likely never use a dslr for all it's many options, for me it seems like if a person purchases any dslr in today's market, with the proper lens incredible results are possible.

Not to mention the others in the mix; Sony , Pentax, Olympus,et al. I am reminded that when I got my first Sony FD (floppy disk) camera in 2000, it was well over $800.00 at 1.3 MP!!!!!!!

Today's cameras are so much alike in so many ways, but I keep coming out of these forums with the feeling that the Nikon has become the king of the hill.

The other reason I went with Canon all those years ago is that I was given to believe that their AF is best for capturing action (sports, dance and the like) I shoot lots of photos at football games and recitals And that Nikon has best overall color rendering.
Canon has not let me down.
I'd like to hear from someone on why he/she chose the camera system that makes them smile!!!!

At any rate, I spend way too much time here on this forum and need to get out and shoot some memories. Which I shall do , once it warms up enough so that I'm not worried about condensation on camera/lens.

Happy shooting and thanks for "listening" to my little "rant".

I chose Canon mainly because I have used Canon in the past, my mom had a Canon film camera and I inherited her lenses. So it was a natural choice.

People are always proud of what they own, and like to fight tooth and nail for their brand. In reality, as you said, both are excellent systems. They are both used by professionals, semi-pros and amateurs.

Nothing wrong with either one, we just sometimes click with one more than another. It could be by listening to a friend's advice who already owns a system, being an owner of the same brand in the past, simple availability when you go and purchase and in some cases, the look and feel of one over another may be the leading factor in choice.

Please put the lid back on that can of worms you just opened :roll: :lol:

I suspect that if you use either major camera company (Nikon / Canon) you have an excellent camera system. Both are very good quality.
IMHO.
However, I like the idea of Nikon because that is all they do...optics.
Canon is a much larger company and is into many other industries.
I just like the fact that Nikon seems to be dedicated to a specific industry.

Not to worry, the Canon printer department doesn't make or assemble the lenses or cameras, just like Nikon's laser development department doesn't have anything to do with their cameras either.

It just means that Canon is a larger and more diversified company and that this has absolutely nothing to do with quality of each photographic item in either company.

Canon or Nikon, there really is so little difference in the final results that it is literally a moot point now.

Go for what works for you, and be happy. Put the snobbery in the toilet and flush it down with the rest of the crap. :)

I'm in the software industry so I'm used to the High Holy Wars of brands but, at least from a beginner, it's not so much the equipment as what you make of it.

I'm an author as well and I can write on any platform with a text box and produce equal quality work. Heck, I can write with a pencil. My platform of choice is what I happen to be comfortable with so I can work without fighting the platform constantly.

I bought a Canon Rebel XS because:

1) I got a great deal on it.
2) Mom (much more advanced as she's been a photographer for 40 years) has hand-me-down equipment from her Canon I can have.
3) I wanted a starter camera that was good but if it turned out I didn't take to photography and use it a lot, would not become a $3K doorstop.

Maybe someday I'll get to a point where the tiny differences become a big deal to me but that time is not now.

Just as a complete outsider coming into this (and I haven't seen it here but I HAVE seen it on other forums) - anytime a complete beginner comes in and says what they have only to be met with sneers and comments of "that's crap, why didn't you buy x instead", it's horribly off-putting and can put them off the hobby/art/new fascination. That seems really sad.

So thank you for NOT doing that to me :)

- Maura

Not to worry, the Canon printer department doesn't make or assemble the lenses or cameras, just like Nikon's laser development department doesn't have anything to do with their cameras either.

It just means that Canon is a larger and more diversified company and that this has absolutely nothing to do with quality of each photographic item in either company.

Canon or Nikon, there really is so little difference in the final results that it is literally a moot point now.

Go for what works for you, and be happy. Put the snobbery in the toilet and flush it down with the rest of the crap. :)

Fair enough!

But GM is better than Ford!

As has basically already been said here, all of this brand stuff is pretty much meaningless. Many will say that canon has dropped the ball recently (though many love the 5DII) and Nikon's new cameras have been great... but any of these cameras will be just fine for you.

Also, it really seems to depend on the forum. Other forums swing much more towards loving Canon and hating on Nikon.

All in all, brand is not going to make a noticeable difference in your photos.

can I derail thread -- please????
*begs*

as for the snobbery there is very little difference in lens lineups for what is possible with Canon or Nikon and even some of the smaller DSLR makers have very good lens availability. For a new person the differences in the brands is mostly meaningless - it takes someone iwth experience to be able to not only know but be able to take advantage of the differences in brands.
I would say that low noise high ISO nikon have an advantage at the moment, with canon pushing for more MP (not a bad thing but a different direction). BUt honestly I don't take bodies into account much - the beginner level ones are mostly the same and at the higher levels saving to afford the bodies means that chances are another brand war will have gone on in the mean time - bodies are really only a concern if your earning off your kit - and thus can afford the investment in a new body as it comes out (and also have a pressing need for the body).

As for which is better -- CANON _ MPE65mm macro - I rest my case
*and so rests a macroholic*

Not to worry, the Canon printer department doesn't make or assemble the lenses or cameras...

Jerry, this statement was true up to the current economic crisis. I had lunch with Phil Canon (President of Canon) the other day at The Brass Rail. He informed me that Canon DSLR's were now in fact engineered and assembled by the folks at the printer department. It's all part of their new job sharing restructuring. He also told me to keep this on the down low so your discretion is appreciated.

actually the canon printer department must have something on the DSLR department - else why would each and every canon DSLR have that (usless) Direct Print button.
I mean does anyone ever use that - ever?

actually the canon printer department must have something on the DSLR department - else why would each and every canon DSLR have that (usless) Direct Print button.
I mean does anyone ever use that - ever?
I think the newer models use that button to activate Live View...so at least now it gets uses sometimes :lol:

When I first researched DSLRs I looked very seriously at both Canon and Nikon, I chose Nikon, and more specifically, the D40, simply because it can use just about every lens made by Nikon in the last 50 years, not because I considered it to be a better brand than Canon.

OK, so majority of those lenses won't autofocus, that's no biggie at all, many won't even meter but when you started with a Zenit with a selenium meter and still use antique cameras with no meters that isn't a problem at all.

Well if you consider no AF and no metering...to be compatible...then Canon cameras are just as compatible with all of their lenses from the past 50 years as well (you just need an adapter).

[stirs the pot] ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back