Brand "snobbery" ?

I don't see any big differences between digital cameras in the same price range and certainly no reason to sell all your equipment of one brand and move to a different one.

The differences tend to be more in the area of features and those that are useful to one photographer are not necessarily used at all by another.
The other factor is the lens. Move from a cheap kit lens to a top-of-the-line one and it may seem that you have a totally new camera no matter what the brand of the camera.

skieur

I don't see any big differences between digital cameras in the same price range and certainly no reason to sell all your equipment of one brand and move to a different one.

The differences tend to be more in the area of features and those that are useful to one photographer are not necessarily used at all by another.
The other factor is the lens. Move from a cheap kit lens to a top-of-the-line one and it may seem that you have a totally new camera no matter what the brand of the camera.

skieur

This statement is too practical for internet fodder.

This statement is too practical for internet fodder.
I agree! Skieur you need to be more divisive in suck matters. :lol:
Well my first digi was the Sony Mavica. Needles to say it was junk but, at the time it was cool. Then later I got a Nikon Coolpix 995, which was a great little P&S. I held out for a Dslr for awhile, I was waiting for Pentax to come out with one as, I was shooting with my Pentax MX for more serious shots. I got tired of waiting so I ended up going with Nikons D50. The reason is the 995 so, I figured the D50 would be a great camera as well. Which it was so, Im stuck on Nikons. As far as Pentax, Oly, Sony and, the others they came in too late to the party and, still havent really caught up.

I love my Canon.

I've tried out Nikons but didn't have a good vibe about the one I looked at.
icon10.gif

Both are great. The reason I chose Nikon was more of an eeny meeny miny mo thing. That and I'd rather have my fingers broken then hold one of their entry level bodies for extended periods of time.

Both are excellent systems. I started with a Canon AE-1 many years ago. When I finally upgraded to a AF system I went with Nikon. My reasons were the backwards compatability of the lenses with the old manual to the AF. Canon didn't provide this. For most people it would not be an issue.

Everyone has their reasons for picking one over the other. The bottom line is they are both fine cameras with an excellent stable of lenses.

... actually if you do not own an Arca-Swiss ... you do not have a real camera !!:lol:

Let's get back to bacon. Peppered bacon that is. Oh and Ford, Windows, and I started out with an old Anscoset Rangefinder Camera way, way, back in the 70's. That my friends is a long way from "L" glass.

Greetings users, and this is my first post. After following this "snobbery" thread for a while, it occurred to me that many people (including myself) are caught up with technical specifications and electronic functionality of our cameras--so mine will remain nameless. I have to remind myself that in the final analysis, regardless of whether you shoot Nikon, Canon, Leica, etc., the difference between a great image and a mediocre one is the photographer's choice of glass, composition, light, and subject.

So having said that, it's 2 degress outside now, and I'm going to grab my camera, tripod, and a warm hat.

-Craig

What about bragging rights ?

It seems what this thread is about.

My X equipment is better than yours !!!

Standing around with a Pentax + 50mm f2, while everyone around you has a Canon with the obvious big honken white lens !?!
or
My X camera can shoot at 200 fps @ 10 GigaPixels, yours sucks.

... yes I second the motion of ... who care's as long as I get the great pictures I want.

I have to admit, I am guilty of brand snobbery. Leica M3 aside, I always felt Nikon put out the most durable cameras when it came to amateur and advanced amateur models, like the AE-1 or A1 vs the Nikon FE or FE2 and FA. I remember batches of the Canons being battery eaters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back