Brand "snobbery" ?

infact with 3rd party adapters from ebay one can get many other party lenses to work on a DSLR - Corpse Bridge the movie was filmed with Nikon lenses on canon bodies (or canon lenses on nikon bodies - I forget which order)

It was Nikon lenses on Canon bodies ;)

At the time, the Canon bodies were well ahead of the rest (I think they were 1Ds mk I or mk II) but they already had a bunch of pro Nikon glass. So they bought the cameras and used the lenses they already had.

Well if you consider no AF and no metering...to be compatible...then Canon cameras are just as compatible with all of their lenses from the past 50 years as well (you just need an adapter).

[stirs the pot] ;)

You're just trying to start a Canon/Nikon war! :lmao:

Adapters are a pain, I have up my Tamron SP Adaptall lenses because I got fed up with dealing with adapters.

ya well....he started it!
I mean...I know you are but what am I?
I mean...you're a doodoo head!

Lets try to keep this thread on track....

The OP was saying he jumped on the Canon bandwagon when Canon was hot and is now looking for consolation by fellow Canon owners who made this same mistake.

pfft as if -- Canon are just waiting and soon enough they will take back the lead (sorry get far further ahead than they are already)

I won't touch a camera unless it says Holga on it.. my avatar's just to try to fit in.

It was Nikon lenses on Canon bodies ;)

At the time, the Canon bodies were well ahead of the rest (I think they were 1Ds mk I or mk II) but they already had a bunch of pro Nikon glass. So they bought the cameras and used the lenses they already had.

Which just goes to prove that I was right, Nikon lenses are superior and they are the most important part of a camera.

(Figured I might as well join in the fight). :mrgreen:

I also selected Canon because of the wider availability of lenses (that are even fully functional with their cheapest DSLRs) and because of my previous favorable experience with a Canon EOS film SLR camera.

Nikon's D300 and D700 are really fine cameras. At the low end, Nikon just hasn't offered much for the budget-minded consumer. The ancient D40's meager selection of autofocus lenses seems pretty woeful when compared to the over five dozen currently-marketed EF and EF-S lenses offered by Canon, not counting all of the discontinued EF lenses produced since 1987. One wonders if by pretty much ignoring the low-end DSLR market for the past few years, will Nikon miss out on future market share for upgrades to more expensive cameras. Not all of us jump right into photography by spending $2500+ on our first camera and lens, but once we've bought into one brand, we may favor that brand when we decide to upgrade.

P.S.: Can we all agree that Nikon and Canon are both great and get back to ganging up on the Sony guys now? :lol:

Lets try to keep this thread on track....

The OP was saying he jumped on the Canon bandwagon when Canon was hot and is now looking for consolation by fellow Canon owners who made this same mistake.

LOL.....I love the way you worded that.

I'm a happy Canon user; I need no pats on the back or support of my opinions.

Puleez, I'm not that insecure.

One magazine from a few years ago which I have somewhere here tried to get the best quality digital shot with the best camera lens combination. The big Canon 21 meg. full frame with Canon lenses produced the best architectural shot or shot "with uniform shapes and curves". The best nature shot or shot "with irregular shapes and curves" was by the same Canon camera but with a Leica lens.

skieur

One magazine from a few years ago which I have somewhere here tried to get the best quality digital shot with the best camera lens combination. The big Canon 21 meg. full frame with Canon lenses produced the best architectural shot or shot "with uniform shapes and curves". The best nature shot or shot "with irregular shapes and curves" was by the same Canon camera but with a Leica lens.

skieur

Yeah, but the test was probably done by an undercover canon employee at the magazine. :lol:

In all honesty both are great and I chose Nikon because I liked the "feel" of their cameras better than Canon. I will soon be upgrading lens and body and don't have too much invested otherwise to prevent me from switching (2 lenses and a flash + camera body that's getting sold anyway) so I've contemplated the switch again. Things that keep me at a Nikon is that Canon can't rival the D90's high ISO performance in that price range (which is my price range) and I still much prefer the button/menu layout of the Nikon bodies.

I honestly thing both companies are equally good and people who are serious with their hate of one or the other are dumb in my opinion. All that aside.....Can't we just :hug:: and get along.

Most reactions

Back