Bringing you photos from south Asia! *WARNING: GRAPHIC SCENE*

machangezi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello evryone,

Commemoration of most important religious festival for Shia Muslims. Photo taken in south Asia.

3.jpg

Please do post your opinion about this particular shot. I'll appreciate your suggestions.

Macha.

Wow. Which festival. And maybe a warning in the thread title for the squeamish? Good stuff though. The selective colouring is a nice touch.

After taking a religious studies class last year I have a better understanding of the concept behind self-flagelation and I know that it's a practice not limited only to Islam.

Intense pic. Great selective coloring.

WTF?!? what F'ed up person would do that to themsaelsves.

omg. gotta quid trinking.

It is also a catholic tradion in some places so you can't place to much religious significance on it and just go to the image itself in my opinion.

It's a good capture and I do think it works best just as it is done.

A lot of the impact would be lost if the crowd members were in colorful costumes. Pure black and white or sepia wouldn't work either.

My only problem with these type shots is that the black and white isn't very good when taken from a digital camera. Not too many people will notice that.

Ture! The black and white ain't very nice. I took this pic with me Nikon F90X sold as N90 in the US (if I'm not wrong).

It is also a catholic tradion in some places so you can't place to much religious significance on it and just go to the image itself in my opinion.
Thanks very much. As mysteryscribe said the main purpose of uploading that photo was to show my work. :D

When I was there taking pics, some locals brought me this tarditional black tea.

blackt.jpg

After a short tea break and a lil chit chat with the locals I went on .....

aa.jpg

Interesting work. However, these images were not using any alternative photographic techniques, so I'm moving the thread for you. This is more photojournalistic in style, so the thread will be found in the Photojournalism forum.

Macha, I am also going to put a warning in the title to guard against those who may have squeamish reactions to the more graphic scenes. Thank you for understanding!

I love them, they're really powerful photos, I'm not a fan of selective coloring, but I really think it works in #1, I'm only not a fan of SC because its over used and some do it just to save a bad picture, but I think you used it when it really is important, but #3 is by far my fav.

Such an... interesting thing. It reminds me of the self-harm in the Da Vinci Code. Good shots, though. The... color is nice. Heh.

What happens if you put the first one in all color? By the way: the blood looks almost cartoonish. Strange. Is it something you did in Photoshop?

terri said:
Macha, I am also going to put a warning in the title to guard against those who may have squeamish reactions to the more graphic scenes. Thank you for understanding!
Thanks for moving it to the proper section. I should have put warning in the first place but it didn't cross my mind. Thanks again.
nealjpage said:
What happens if you put the first one in all color?
It will be bloody - all red! It looks best with B&W combination.
nealjpage said:
By the way: the blood looks almost cartoonish. Strange. Is it something you did in Photoshop?
Didn't even open the third pic in PS! It's like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back