Broken American Dream

I hear ya. Drove through the midwest, off interstate, a couple of years ago. Miles and miles of farmland and crops all owned by large corporations.

I hate Monsanto. :aufsmaul:

Yes, pure evil -- they've changed their name now, it's Bayer, but the evil persists.

Joe

Without turning this into a political discussion, the photo itself is telling to me in many ways.
A decline in the caricature of America and the old ways dying.

Like the WRE before it, were seeing the sunset days of a great nation based entirely on political ideals that are tried and true destructive on both sides of an argument that fails to understand that the two sides are not the only views that exist.

The flag and the holes in the window screen harken to that deep pain I feel toward a nation I love.

Without turning this into a political discussion, the photo itself is telling to me in many ways.
A decline in the caricature of America and the old ways dying.

Like the WRE before it, were seeing the sunset days of a great nation based entirely on political ideals that are tried and true destructive on both sides of an argument that fails to understand that the two sides are not the only views that exist.

The flag and the holes in the window screen harken to that deep pain I feel toward a nation I love.

This scenario, and indeed such a scene as Ysarex depicts, is not new even in this country. Sharecroppers lost-out to mechanization decades ago, with the roots of that beginning a century back when it started to become cheaper to buy a tractor and personally use it over the former system of splitting yields with a tenant-farmer working the field by-hand or with animal power. Books such as The Grapes Of Wrath provide graphic descriptions of the abandoned farmhouses, and I very much could see such derelict structures with the last tatters of quixotic nationalism as both a celebration of what's lost and as a warning that we now conveniently ignore.

I find it to be a powerful picture in part because it shows how naked and vulnerable our hubris is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back