Well, I do not think people are getting good treatment. Here is a random sampling of people from that thread. Below I list quoted excerpts from those with DOAs; this list would have been about four times longer if I had included people having difficulties with various radio triggers. I do not think that customer service includes being sent multiple,untested flash units; it takes less than 50 seconds to see if a product like this works. Their stated policy is that the customer pays for return postage on defective units. I had NO IDEA until I found this thread just how prevalent this company's sale and shipment of DOA flashes was. The merchandise was sold as "used", but was guaranteed to be in working condition. Given the sketchy nature of these Quantaray flash units, I would say that not testing these flashes,one by one, is inexcusable.
Flickr: Discussing Strobist friendly flash on the cheap - Less than $36 in Strobist.com
"I called them today and told them about some of the issues that members have had on this thread so hopefully they will do a little better this time not sending out dead flashes."
"Ordered one and got it yesterday. It does everything but flash."
"Well They couldn't do the replacement thing for me using these as a replacement for the two other DOAs they sent me, but that was more to do with the fact that they ahve alreadt started the refund process for those other flashes."
"Just ordered a flash, hope it does not come DOA like the 2 last week. I again used Paypal as they refund almost immediately if item condition is disputed." and then, 7 days later same poster wrote: "DOA flash just arrived. Promptly refunded. Tech for less customer service is fantastic. " So, three DOA's for Barber Pole!
"Got mine today Quantaray QDC-900WA looks like new much better cond. than the DSZ PZ-1 that i was sent which did not work. "
"I just got mine (a replacement for the cheaper flash that didn't work). It came in bubble wrap only (no box, no diffuser, no instructions). I was a bit concerned about that. But, it fired up fine and works fine. "
***********
"Got mine. Unfortunately it seems a bit off on the TTL - it'll take a picture that's completely under or over exposed and then get it perfect the next three shots. Oh well, it seems to work a decent amount of the time."
"I got 2 of these for $64 - Nikon version. 1 worked great, 1 not completely unusable but not reliable either."
"Now the bad news, In TTL mode I only get a very short, low power flash pulse. This is not affected by the JrX power control using the signal inverter designed for DIY RPCube use on Canon.

Flickr: Discussing DIY Canon RadioPopper RPCube - I have it working! in Strobist.com... Compounding the problem, this flash does not work on camera in TTL mode. All I get is what seems to be a full power preflash, visible in the viewfinder, with no sign of a "real" flash in the picture itself.
Assuming this is a faulty unit I contacted Tech for Less. Their customer service is indeed excellent. They sent me a second unit which, unfortunately, behaves just like the first. By the way I shoot with a Canon 30D."