What's new

Burleigh Beach Sunrise (Gold Coast, Australia)

Sifor

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Gold Coast, Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Interested on how I can improve these shots. Some have suggested WB improvement and distortion in buildings.

They are single RAW exposures, no filters nor bracketing. Lightroom used to bring out the shadows and pop colours where needed.

This would be my first real attempt at sunrise photography and photos were captured using a new Nikon D800 with Nikon 24-70 2.8 so there's a big learning curve in the gear alone.

Thanks in advance for all comments and critique.

APTp_DSC_0774.jpg


mcPb_DSC_0795.jpg


ic5V_DSC_0789.jpg
 
Lovely shot(s) I would have made a pano of this as well. Congrats on the D800, it's a fantastic system (even though I'm a Canon shooter). Great composition, great colors. I really don't have much else!! Great work!
 
Lovely shot(s) I would have made a pano of this as well. Congrats on the D800, it's a fantastic system (even though I'm a Canon shooter). Great composition, great colors. I really don't have much else!! Great work!

Thanks for the interest. The D800 has been good so far, it excels in dynamic range and shadow recovery. Only real problem is the AF issue that is apparent on some copies..will keep an eye on it though, 2 year warranty so all good.

Just out of interest, which one would you have printed given the choice?
 
Interested on how I can improve these shots.
They are single RAW exposures, no filters nor bracketing. Lightroom used to bring out the shadows and pop colours where needed.

I can tell where you had to push things a little too far in lightroom due to the dynamic range. The D800 captured it all in the RAW file, but it still looks better if you dont have to push it too far.

You invested $5k+ (US) into lens and camera, drop another $200 on some GNDs and you will be amazed at the possabilities it opens for you, especially if you like seascapes. Trust me.
 
Yeah I probably will pick up some in the near future. Apparently "reverse" GNDs are better suited to sunrises/sunsets?
 
Lovely shot(s) I would have made a pano of this as well. Congrats on the D800, it's a fantastic system (even though I'm a Canon shooter). Great composition, great colors. I really don't have much else!! Great work!

Thanks for the interest. The D800 has been good so far, it excels in dynamic range and shadow recovery. Only real problem is the AF issue that is apparent on some copies..will keep an eye on it though, 2 year warranty so all good.

Just out of interest, which one would you have printed given the choice?

For sure! As much as I hate it, being a Canon... the D800 is my go to system for contrast or wide dynamic range!
My personal favorite is #1, I love the city in the background, adds some good depth. I would be overjoyed to hang that in my office :).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom