Business Cards

I know people are going to get upset with this.... but,

Photographers get upset when people think they can do what a photographer does, yet here's a photographer attempting to do something other than photograph. I know, I know people can be "good" at more thing than one, but in most cases, including this one. One should stick to what they are best at.

These designs just scream out "non-designer layout". Fonts, type sizes, colors, alignment. It just doesn't work.

I would suggest that you maybe contact a local designer, you may even know some that you've worked with, and ask if they would be interested in a trade of services. You'll do some shooting for them and they'll design a identity for you.

Your best bet would be to NOT show them what you've done, but show them your photography. They should be able to design an identity that shows your style based on your photography.

Give it a shot and see what a "Designer" comes up with. If you're serious about your photography business, you should take your identity serious.

Agree with this 100%. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to have some serious thought put into your identity. I'm a graphic designer/photographer so this comes naturally :lol:

I agree, it doesnt look professional. I have a design business, and know a lot of other designers if you ever need someone to create a card for you. :)

Got is, stick with photo, and let a real designer make a professional card for me. I really do appriciate all of the C&C that y'all have provided. I will look into getting one made very soon.

It appears Jim's ragging on everyone elses cards, he did on mine too...
Business cards are for contact information, nothing more.

Brian... I wasn't ragging on your card specifically (in fact, for what it was, I thought yours was quite well done and professional). I was just completely disagreeing with the notion that business cards are for contact information.

I was just completely disagreeing with the notion that business cards are for contact information.

.. and you are not wrong either... but adding images has to be done with a lot of consideration.

I am a professional graphic designer with 12+ years experience. I am a designer way before i am a photographer.

I have, and still do, use images for certain types of cards, if i think it will benefit the business.
A business card should certainly NOT be seen as a piece of card with your contact details on and nothing more.

The main point is tho... you don't have to have an image if your a photographer... but one thing is does have to do... communicate the fact that you are professional.
So no matter what the design layout, if it says pro then your good to go. The other card posted recently is a good example of showing a pro look without images. You just need people to recognize that you are legit and well established, your work will then 'wow' them when they get to see your site/portfolio.
But in the same way, i have supplied pro looking cards with images for photographers, it will sometimes benefit you to have images on your card... pictures say a thousand words... if your at a wedding fair or event giving your cards out, you will want people to recognize your work.

To the OP, the first thing an amateur will do when designing something is to try something new themselves from their own heads. This is your first mistake!, because you will inevitably use the wrong typefaces at the wrong size and put them in a place they shouldn't be!
Typography is a complete art form in its own right and is ALWAYS underestimated by the 'design at home' user. Don't feel bad tho, this type of work is all over the internet, so its nothing new.

The best thing to do, if your not going to use a pro, is to find a design you like via google or whatever, and copy the layout. ;)

Typography is a complete art form in its own right and is ALWAYS underestimated...

I completely agree with this, and everything else you said. As i stated above as well, i am going to get a professional to design my card for me. i am still learning the design world. (obvisouly have not been one for very long. i have rebuilt my unit's web site though using dreamweaver CS3 https://www.8mcd.usmc.mil if you'd like to give it a see through and let me know what you think, still a work in progress)

lol, not many ppl, oh well, guess i get to scrap it for now. What about the font of the 2nd example with the font of the last one?

3438777725_815e23912e.jpg
Make sure your next effort is the same aspect ratio of a business card. Be sure and look at it at actual size to make certain all you typr is larger enough to be read.

Forget the border there's no way 100 ccards can be produced with it not being uneven on most cards.

You might go to overnightprints.com and try out their business card designing utility for some additional insights.

Most reactions

Back