Buying a 28-135mm Lens from craigslist

gargoyle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and still pretty new to photography.

I'm upgrading my eos 10d to a 28-135mm IS lens, and was looking to buy from a someone locally on craigslist. I've found a prospect that's close-by but since I'm still fairly new to this (and I bought all my equipment from family a little over a year ago), my question is -

How should I go about making sure everything on the lens is okay? (aside from looking for obvious cosmetic or parts that are defective). Is there anything I should pay close attention to? Any details that may not catch a beginner's eye?

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you mount it on your camera and make sure that the auto focus and the IS is working properly. Use the DOF preview button and look into the lens, to make sure that the aperture blades are closing down and not sticking. Make sure that the zoom is smooth.

Take the lens off and look right through it, make sure the glass is clear.

Thanks for the tips, Mike.

Julie - I'm upgrading from a 28-105mm standard zoom lens. The feature I really want with the 28-135mm is the Image Stabilizer.

I'm just starting to shoot my traveling experiences & encounters..

To be honest with you, I'm still skeptical about buying from someone I don't know. But he does seem rather genuine, and it is $100 cheaper + I save on shipping. And I'm on a tight budget.

Is there any major potential problems I may run into even if I test/do everything Mike said?

Thanks again,

I've bought several things from craigslist (my D40, a 50mm lens, and a SB-24 flash). All of them were very positive experiences.

I suggest you chat it up with your seller. Ask him about his experience with the lens, photography, his hobbies, his background ... if he seems like a decent person, buy the lens. You should have his phone number, so he will be accountable. People are less likely to scam you if you develop a personal relationship with them.

Make sure you shop around for the best price. Since this lens is the kit lens for the Canon 40d there are a ton of them available. Many people sell them and they have never been used. I do not know what you are paying or willing to pay, but I have seen many of these lenses sold (unused) for around $300-$325. This is a good walking around lens and is of decent quality. For best sharpness shoot around f/8. If you cannot get a decent price, let me know, I have one I am thinking of selling, barely used, due to upgrades.

To be honest with you, I'm still skeptical about buying from someone I don't know.

Unlessyou know every online/in-store person you are buyuing from - whats the difference. With CL you have the opportunity to physically test the unit out without any commitment to purchase.

As for the condition of the lens, anything can happen between when you pay and when you get it home - stressing about that means you may well just stress yourself out of a good deal.

Most reactions

Back