What's new

Buying a lens. help?

dantambok

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Location
Philippines
I have a canon 7D and I`m thinking of buying either a canon 50mm 1.2 or the 85mm 1.2
Which one would you recommend for everyday use?(taking walks, some portraits and all around)
I have heard that there are focusing issues for these lenses and would it be ok if it`s bought without testing?:meh:

thanks,
dan
 
I would say that those two lenses almost qualify as 'specialty' lenses. They are both very expensive and are best used for a specific purposes (very shallow DOF).

If you want more an an 'everyday use' lens, I'd maybe suggest a good zoom lens, but if you want a prime (non-zoom) lens, that's fine too.

I suggest comparing these two lenses to the 50mm F1.4 and the 85mm F1.8...both of which are considerably less expensive than the L models you mentioned...and while they might not match up in top end image quality, they are still very good lenses and offer a good value. I believe that both have the USM focus motor, which should give you nice fast AF.
 
I have to agree with Mike on this; I can't think of many [any] situations in day-to-day shooting where I would want a 1.2 lens. I'm going to go a step further say that they are definitely specialty lenses, and that the average shooter just won't get enough use out of them to justify the cost.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom