Buying a New Camera

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
Hi,
I'm a high school student who does semi-professional photography. I currently have a Praktica ML-3, it only has manual focus, manual exposure, manual film advance etc.. The camera is older but still takes good pictures, however I want to purchase a more full featured camera.

I was planning on getting a 35mm film camera because the cameras are cheaper than digital and tend to produce higher quality pictures (and I just purchased a darkroom enlarger)

Currently, I am looking at Canon EOS cameras that are under $1000. I wanted a Canon 1V but I doubt I would need all the features that camera has. The EOS-3 looks good to me but I'm still not sure if its the right camera for me.

Does anyone have advice on what camera to buy?

I have a EOS3000N (the film rebel)... It does a perfect job for me.. I paid $300AU. So if you are talking US - that would be a fair bit cheaper. And you could spend the rest on lenses...

Or, you could probably pick up a 300D - Digital Rebel for $1000US

fadingaway1986 said:
Or, you could probably pick up a 300D - Digital Rebel for $1000US

I just wanted to suggest it. there are a few dslrs that cost less than $1000 but I dunno if you are interested in digitals at all :)

I think if your pretty serious about photography, you can't go wrong with the EOS line.
I would get the EOS Elan 7 and spend the rest on lenses. Or Nikon N80 and lenses.

The other option is look at used. Could get even more for your money.

And don't let these guys bully you into digital, we silver geeks need to stick together. :D

Thanks for all of the advice so far.
I been looking at a lot of cameras and I really like the Canon EOS Elan 7. If I can get that camera for around $300 I could buy 1 or 2 good lenses. I was also thinking of saving a lot of money over the summer and buying a Digital Rebel (maybe XT/350D) later on and that way I could use the same lenses.

I'd recommend you the Canon 1N or 1N RS, these cams aren't worse than the 1V and they go for cheap (and are far better than the Eos 3).

and instead of a "cheap" film rebel get the Praktica B200 electronic, you would love it, one of the best cams I've ever used (or is AF a must?)

I'll look into to the Canon 1N (RS).

I actually have a Praktica MTL-3 right now and really like the camera. Its built well and takes great pictures. I have never actually had an SLR camera with AF, I do it all manually.

I might as well add my 2¢ here and mention that I recently made a purchase similar to what you're contemplating now. I've got an old Pentax K1000 to use for my high school class but I wanted something that could do more. So after some research I eventually went with the Canon ELAN 7N. And I must say I am really happy with the camera. It's at a good price ($300-to-400-ish for the model without the eye-controlled focus), and is a very nicely featured camera. The build is nice, although probably not as nice as the 3V or 1V, but probably much nicer than the rebels. So if I had to reccomend a camera, the ELAN 7N would be it.

Thanks for the input. I have heard good things about the Elan but not the eye focusing. It just would seem weird to focus by looking at something and lose more fine control. If I buy an Elan I'll save a few dollars and get one without the the eye focusing support.

I've decided that since I already have a film camera that when I buy a new one it will be digital. I've narrowed my choices down to the
-Canon EOS 10d
-Canon EOS 350d (Digital Rebel XT)
-Nikon D70
Right now I'm leaning toward the 10d but would like some more input and opinions.

I personally am sticking to film for price. Sure, it will cost more in developing and sure, I can't transfer half in the middle, but you save about 1000$.

Question to all: I have a Canon FTb, like 25-30 years old. It takes good pics, my lens is in great shape and its all around good. Should I save my money and buy more lenses, or buy a new camera and less lenses? I just wanna know. Thx!

darin, stay film! We can take the digital junkies anyday :) Plus, then you can still use your darkroom enlarger)!

Matty-Bass said:
Question to all: I have a Canon FTb, like 25-30 years old. It takes good pics, my lens is in great shape and its all around good. Should I save my money and buy more lenses, or buy a new camera and less lenses? I just wanna know. Thx!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's nothing wrong with using an old camera. I often prefer it. There is a simplicity of mechanism that allows you to concentrate on the photograph.

And back to the main topic of this thread, instead of spending lots of money on a fancy smancy, high tech, AF 35mm SLR, why not buy a much cheaper, but just as functional, mechanical 35mm SLR, and save the extra moola for film and processing or a DSLR?

Wow ! I really like the look of the Canon 1N / 1N RS Santino has mentioned. Would be a big step up from my AE-1. I'm very much looking in on this one.

Most reactions

Back