Buying my first real camera

Jonahnieuwe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title suggests, I'm looking for my first "real" camera to buy and I hope you are willing and able to help me with my choice. First of all I will give u some information about me and my budget and what kind of photos I want to take.

I'm "only" 16 years old and earned my money by walking the morning papers, my budget is €2000 so $2180. I'm telling you this so you know that I really worked long for this and I'm not going to spend it without some serious consideration, that's why I am making this forum post right now.

I do have some experience with cameras I shot many pictures with a small point and shoot, an all in one camera and the last few years with my phone. I'm really interested in photography and willing to learn about the exposure triangle and the rule of thirds etc.

Our family loves adventures and active vacations, like walking in the mountains in Italy, canoeing in Sweden, Skiing in Austria and going on city trips like: Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm, Prague etc. So I would like a sturdy camera, with exchangeable lenses and maybe water-resistant because I live in the Netherlands and rain is never far away. I was looking into mirror less cameras because of the compact size wich can be useful when going on a city trip.

The camera I had in mind is a Fujifilm x-t2 with a 18-55mm Lens because of the relatively small size, water risistantcy, build quality and, nice not to expensive, lens selection. But dropping €1900 into a new camera seems a little excessive... but... I also want quality and longevity so going super cheap isn't what I want either. Another option is a canon 80d or Nikon d7200.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic! If you have more questions feel free to ask me.

Greetings

As the title suggests, I'm looking for my first "real" camera to buy and I hope you are willing and able to help me with my choice. First of all I will give u some information about me and my budget and what kind of photos I want to take.

I'm "only" 16 years old and earned my money by walking the morning papers, my budget is €2000 so $2180. I'm telling you this so you know that I really worked long for this and I'm not going to spend it without some serious consideration, that's why I am making this forum post right now.

I do have some experience with cameras I shot many pictures with a small point and shoot, an all in one camera and the last few years with my phone. I'm really interested in photography and willing to learn about the exposure triangle and the rule of thirds etc.

Our family loves adventures and active vacations, like walking in the mountains in Italy, canoeing in Sweden, Skiing in Austria and going on city trips like: Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm, Prague etc. So I would like a sturdy camera, with exchangeable lenses and maybe water-resistant because I live in the Netherlands and rain is never far away. I was looking into mirror less cameras because of the compact size wich can be useful when going on a city trip.

The camera I had in mind is a Fujifilm x-t2 with a 18-55mm Lens because of the relatively small size, water risistantcy, build quality and, nice not to expensive, lens selection. But dropping €1900 into a new camera seems a little excessive... but... I also want quality and longevity so going super cheap isn't what I want either. Another option is a canon 80d or Nikon d7200.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic! If you have more questions feel free to ask me.

Greetings

those are all good but be sure to go to a camera store and handle them. If it's for travel, vacations and hiking then the mirrorless models from Fuji, Sony, Canon or Olympus) might be a better option because mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter than a DSLR, espcially with "pancake" style lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Hi and welcome to the forum!
You had me interested when talking about skiing in Austria ;).
Is there a reason why you didn´t consider Sony bodies? In regard to mirrorless I think they are the leading brand and you´d get a full frame a7II for less money than the x-t2.
I do shoot sony bodies and Canon bodies and for quite some time now sony are my favourites.
Are you considering shooting video too, or will you stick with photos?

I most heartily suggest that you purchase a slightly used model of a very good camera. This will save you a lot of money, which I understand you worked long and hard to earn. Congratulations on saving that much money! Your parents are undoubtedly very proud!

The Fujifilm x-t2 is an excellent choice, but I don't know if you will find a good used one. I've heard good things about the Canon 80d, but I have no experience with Canon. As for Nikon, you will do better if you find a nice used D7100, not the D7200. Or a new D7100 kit if you cannot find a lightly used one. The D7100 out-performs the D7200, and will be less expensive.

This is my best recommendation:

Nikon D7100 SLR-Digitalkamera 3,2 Zoll Kit inkl. Nikon: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Have fun!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi and welcome to the forum!
You had me interested when talking about skiing in Austria ;).
Is there a reason why you didn´t consider Sony bodies? In regard to mirrorless I think they are the leading brand and you´d get a full frame a7II for less money than the x-t2.
I do shoot sony bodies and Canon bodies and for quite some time now sony are my favourites.
Are you considering shooting video too, or will you stick with photos?

Well I was mostly looking at Fuji because the lenses are quite cheap for the quality and should have maybe mentioned this in the post but I'm able to get a new x-t2 with the 18-55 for €1750 and that is cheaper than the Sony a7 ii, video is more a nice extra then a necessity

[
I most heartily suggest that you purchase a slightly used model of a very good camera. This will save you a lot of money, which I understand you worked long and hard to earn. Congratulations on saving that much money! Your parents are undoubtedly very proud!

The Fujifilm x-t2 is an excellent choice, but I don't know if you will find a good used one. I've heard good things about the Canon 80d, but I have no experience with Canon. As for Nikon, you will do better if you find a nice used D7100, not the D7200. Or a new D7100 kit if you cannot find a lightly used one. The D7100 out-performs the D7200, and will be less expensive.

This is my best recommendation:

Nikon D7100 SLR-Digitalkamera 3,2 Zoll Kit inkl. Nikon: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Have fun!

Thank you for the reply, I maybe should have mentioned this in the question but I'm able to get a new x-t2 with the 18-55 for €1750 does this change anything ;-), the a7 ii is really nice but the lenses are expensive or you need adaptor, I also heard that an Sony a7 ii with the same lens as say a canon 80d is roughly the same size because the lenses need to be larger. Do you understand my hesitation in buying a cheap beginner body? I feel like it would give me less joy in using :-/ and isn't that well suited for the activities I'm planning on doing with it.... I will be looking more into the Nikon d7100 and if I can get a nice used one here.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm able to get a new x-t2 with the 18-55 for €1750 does this change anything ;-), the a7 ii is really nice but the lenses are expensive or you need adaptor, I also heard that an Sony a7 ii with the same lens as say a canon 80d is roughly the same size because the lenses need to be larger. Do you understand my hesitation in buying a cheap beginner body? I feel like it would give me less joy in using :-/ and isn't that well suited for the activities I'm planning on doing with it.... I will be looking more into the Nikon d7100 and if I can get a nice used one here.
I don't have any personal experience with Fujifilm, but the x-t2 has good reviews. Also no experience with Sony, but I can't recommend it. I do not advocate a cheap beginner body because you will want to upgrade someday. You will be happy with a Nikon D7100. It is a camera you can grow with for years.

Are you shooting mostly stills or action as well? If mostly stills I highly recommend Olympus EM5 Mark II. Weather sealed, great size and weight for travel and has one of the widest selection of lenses available. Get it with the 12-40 F2.8 pro or the 12-100 F4 Pro. Em1 Mark II if you can afford it.

Best thing is to go to a camera store and hold the different cameras to see which fits most comfortably ion your hands. To me thats almost as important as the quality if the camera.

Are you shooting mostly stills or action as well? If mostly stills I highly recommend Olympus EM5 Mark II. Weather sealed, great size and weight for travel and has one of the widest selection of lenses available. Get it with the 12-40 F2.8 pro or the 12-100 F4 Pro. Em1 Mark II if you can afford it.

Best thing is to go to a camera store and hold the different cameras to see which fits most comfortably ion your hands. To me thats almost as important as the quality if the camera.
I think I will be shooting mostly stills the only time I will shoot action is when on Wintersport, I was looking at the Olympus em5 mark II but it's with the Pro lens €1700 almost as much as the x-t2 I am able to get is it still a good option? I'm planning on going to a camera store tomorrow, so I can get some hands on experience. The em1 m II is too expensive for me. Do you think jumping in with expensively gear is better than going cheap and getting a 1300d or d3400, I don't wanna go real cheap on the body, although lenses are more important

I think I will be shooting mostly stills the only time I will shoot action is when on Wintersport, I was looking at the Olympus em5 mark II but it's with the Pro lens €1700 almost as much as the x-t2 I am able to get is it still a good option? I'm planning on going to a camera store tomorrow, so I can get some hands on experience. The em1 m II is too expensive for me. Do you think jumping in with expensively gear is better than going cheap and getting a 1300d or d3400, I don't wanna go real cheap on the body, although lenses are more important

No you don't have to jump in with expensive gear. But what you should do is try to buy into the right system for you. That way when you upgrade camera or lens your not upgrading into a new system which will become very expensive.

List down what is important for you in a camera at this point, do some online reviews then go to a store and hold them in your hands.

Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic all have quality cameras and would stick with them for travel cameras. But that is personal choice. I personally don't want to lug around a full frame DSLR when I travel.

If you do go with a Olympus or Panasonic you have the full range of both their lenses to use.

No you don't have to jump in with expensive gear. But what you should do is try to buy into the right system for you. That way when you upgrade camera or lens your not upgrading into a new system which will become very expensive.

List down what is important for you in a camera at this point, do some online reviews then go to a store and hold them in your hands.

Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic all have quality cameras and would stick with them for travel cameras. But that is personal choice. I personally don't want to lug around a full frame DSLR when I travel.

If you do go with a Olympus or Panasonic you have the full range of both their lenses to use.

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly do this, I am planning on visiting some stores tomorrow to get a hands on experience with the different cameras! I'm also looking at the Fujifilm x-t20 if I decide on going for the Fuji system I can in the future upgrade to the x-t2 and keep all my lenses.

they're all good.
the EM5 MkII has weaker lowlight performance than the Fuji but the Olympus camera has amazing weather sealing.
Olympus has a larger lens collection.

Fuji is great at low light but it's also a bulkier system.
The Canon and Nikon are old tech. Go with Mirrorless

Wait for a bundle deal and go with either.

You are at the right place and I am sure you will get the best camera and your choice is really good. All people are confused when they buy their first camera and I have a canon 80d camera from past two years and I like it so much there is no problem occurred in this camera so you can try it if you like.

$1750 for a body and a kit zoom 18-55mm??? Seems VERY expensive to me....you could buy a Nikon D5400 and an 18-55 and a 70-300 VR for less money, and get a top-quality flash for roughly the same price as just the Fuji and the kit zoom.

I would spend MORE money on the lenses and go with a low-priced by newish NIKON camera body...like a D3400 or D5400, something in the low-price body range, buit with the good SONY-made sensor; Canon has substandard sensors compared to what SOny is selling to Nikon. Spend the money of LENSES!!!! Get the 50/1.8 G and the 85/1.8 G series lenses and you will, have two solid,solid lifetime grade prime lenses.

the Fuji 18-55 is a superb lens.
the Nikon 18-55 is rubbish.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back