Buying online ??? Seeking advice/opinions

franchise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is the catch with the $$CHEAP$$ online prices with camera's?? Are is it on the "up and up"? My friend has been looking for a camera like I have and online it seems he'll pay half the price. He's been looking on ebay. Such places as the following:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D70S-Digital-SLR-USA-Camera-3000-PKG-NEW-D70-S_W0QQitemZ7543476358QQcategoryZ43456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D70-Digital-SLR-Camera-2-Nikon-Lens-2GB-NEW-USA_W0QQitemZ7542767162QQcategoryZ107912QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are these good deals or do they sale older models or different lens? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Without even looking...I'm guessing that they are the typical cheap camera scams found all over the internet.

Basically, they advertise the camera with out the basic accesories...like strap, connecting cords, manual etc. then they give you the hard sales pitch when you call. They try to sell you, the missing stuff plus other accessories like batteries and memory cards. Then the service is probably less than adequate.

IMO, anyone would be better off dealing with a reputable dealer. or better yet, a local store. The two biggest mail order retailers of cameras are linked at the bottom of the page. They will usually have the best 'fair' prices. If it's cheaper somewhere else, there is probably a reason.

I'm guessing here -- there's probably nothing "wrong" with what you'll get. The accessories probably aren't worth what they claim though, and so it makes it seem like a better deal than it really is. The camera could be refurbished, or without the warranty. But generally, if a guy has 98% satisfaction rate on ebay over a long period, you'll get what he says.

It may not be an awful deal. Personally, I'd rather deal with a reputable dealer who gives good service, b/c once you buy the camera from an ebay guy, you're done with him. Abes of Maine has good prices, I've found.

But I doubt these are scams, per se. Who knows, however. I am guessing.

I was going to go the route of buying from ebay. But I decided that with a big purchase like the Canon 20D... I really needed to keep it close to home so to speak. I'd rather pay the $300 difference more and have someone I can talk to face to face than to have to deal on the phone with someone. Also, the warrantee was important for me too. I ended up going to Best Buy. They also have the points program and I ended up getting back $60 credit on the purchase.

I've bought from Ebay before, but nothing over $300 or so. Also, those deals seem to give you a bunch of stuff but if you read the fine print, they have the 'right' to change any of the free/bonus items in the auction. So beware of that.

Pamela

Most reactions

New Topics

Back