C&C <3

Bru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, picking out a few of these I like the most, would like some C&C on the way the photos are taken and any tips on editing. (ex: if they are overexposed, how could I have taken the picture differently or how could pp help?) I am using a Nikon D50 (that won't let me change the aperture without having a heart attack) w/ a Tamron 28-80mm, but I am hoping to order a D3100 with kit lens & a 55-200mm lens soon.

face by Keely Brubaker, on Flickr

boostDSC_0381 by Keely Brubaker, on Flickr

playgroundnov11.8 by Keely Brubaker, on Flickr

Thanks in advance <3 I was really nervous about posting pictures here but you have all been so helpful with your C&C!!

How are your pics metered? It seems to me (and feel free to disregard since I'm really new at all this) that your backgrounds are exposed properly, but you subject is dark, or blown out depending on the light. You can fix this with a flash, or metering off yor subject but the latter will more than likely cause you to blow out your background in this case. I'm sure that someone more knowledgable will be along shortly to tell you the proper way to fix it.

Also, it seems that you were taking these shots right in the middle of the day, in bright sunlight. That can be a really tough time to negotiate the available light since its so very brutal. The last pic looks really nice, but the details on her right side face and shoulder all kind of run together and get bleached out. I would consider trying these shots again, really early in the morning, or just before and at dusk.

FWIW, My .02, and all that.

Agree with above. No1 is under exposed due to the sun being behind and needs a flash. No2, the side of the head is blown and the face is in shadow, again a pop up flash would have fixed it. I like No3 but the shadow across her head spoils it. Maybe a change of angle to more head on would have helped. IMHO

Ahh yes, I haven't experimented with using the flash outside yet, I will probably see if I can get a couple of shots today doing that. Do you think there is any PP that could fix the issues? Maybe selectively fixing the exposure?

Just did a quick edit on No1. Dodged and burned it, brightened the eyes, smoothed it and cropped a little. There's some blown highlights which you could probably clone out if you really wanted to.
5208513281_55a8111e13-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back