C&C Car shot

jasonsmith0327

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like how this turned out. Just figured I would ask how you guys thought it turned out! Feel free to leave any comment.

Terribly underexposed, the sky is drab, the car has excess noise in the shadows, the car doesn't strike me as the main subject. The list goes on. I would scrap it and try again. Try to make the car your focal point. And please expose it better and choose a less distracting background.

i have to agree with D-B-J it doesn't look like the car is the main focus. and so much space wasted on the bland grey sky. i'd try again with the car more as the center of focus. less wasted space and proper exposure.

What is right and wrong with any image is purely subjective, however most members here, especially the more experienced ones tend to provide their critique and comments based on generally accepted standards of exposure and composition.

It is a fact that the human eye will be more readily attracted to light than dark. Bearing that in mind and looking at your image objectively, what is going to attract the eye the most? Chances are it's the upper left/upper middle area of sky and NOT the car as you intended.

To bring the car into prominence, you need to make sure that it is correctly exposed and placed within the frame to make the first thing the eye sees. If I may, I would suggest some reading over here on metering and exposure to gain a better understanding of how your camera works and how to get the best exposures.

looks like a snapshot from a cell phone.

An important visual image composition concept is 'visual weight'.

Visual weight can be about light and dark as tirediron mentioned (light advances, dark receeds). Visual weight can be about colors, or subject scale.

in your photo the car is smaller than most of the other main image elements, like the buildings and the sky. Hence, it has little visual weight.

However, car enthusiasts often do the same thing, composing so background elements have more visual weight than their intended main subject, a car.

Did you notice the blue porta-potty in the background at the base of the passenger side A-pillar.

Give your intended main subject sufficient visual weight in the image frame:
bder.jpg

Last edited:
If the background were say racetrack stands instead of sheds, this would have worked better. Keep at it, you'll get it.

Crop and B&W...oh and dodged the crap outta those wheels. Really tiny file so I could do no more.

bder.jpg

Hate to say it , but if it is a bad image, it is a bad image. Nothing you can do to make it look nice. Just redo the shoot and pay attention to the lighting and what is in the background (porta-potty) during a car shoot is not cool. I see a military sticker on the windshield so am sure there are places on the base or nearby that you can use for better backgrounds. If you throw in that pretty model, we won't dog you as much.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Most reactions

Back