DSC_7749-Edit.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 508
  • DSC_4861-Edit.jpg
    DSC_4861-Edit.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC_0825-Edit.jpg
    DSC_0825-Edit.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 480
My favourite is the mans photo, but I think the first photo has the most potential with a diferent postprocesing. You could try doing the first and third in black and white.

Last edited:
Good, solid images. My only thought is perhaps a little more room at the top for each? It just looks a little compressed to me.

These all strike me as too obvious use of a very shallow depth of field and a bit of overworked processing on the three women.
The shallow DOF on the man means that his eyes are actually going out of focus and that white line on his shoulder draws a lot of attention.

Sorry

I think these are pretty well done. I personally like a shallow depth of field even for headshots, and to me the eyes all look like they're in sharp focus as well as other important details, however the shot of the man could stand to be selectively sharpened in some areas. Based on my personal preference, I don't think there is enough separation between your models and the backgrounds in the shots of the blond girl and the guy; I think a little more room behind them as well as casting less light on the background would bring more focus to your subject while adding some dimension to the shots.

Last edited:
I think these are pretty well done. I personally like a shallow depth of field even for headshots, and to me the eyes all look like they're in sharp focus as well as other important details, however the shot of the man could stand to be selectively sharpened in some areas. Based on my personal preference, I don't think there is enough separation between your models and the backgrounds in the shots of the blond girl and the guy; I think a little more room behind them as well as casting less light on the background would bring more focus to your subject while adding some dimension to the shots.
Yeah, I've had the issue of not being able to move the background far away enough.
I should be able to fix that in January when I'll be getting a full sized studio vs shooting in a livingroom.
B&W is no longer popular for headshots and casting directors much prefer colour images.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of debating about the retouching. It's so hard to fix it without going a little too much overboard.
as for room above the heads, that's generally not needed in headshots where if you had to crop something it would be the top of the head vs shoulders and body.

Here's a few more images.
I can't wait till I get a bigger studio next year :D

Attachments

• DSC_7374-Edit.jpg
    DSC_7374-Edit.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC_0893-Edit.jpg
    DSC_0893-Edit.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_1649-Edit.jpg
    DSC_1649-Edit.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 331
Yeah, you're going to need a longer studio for sure.

The young black woman with the strapless top seems to be almost face on to the camera? Maybe it's me but her head seems a little big

I like the black man w the goatee and the young red haired woman w red cheeks but her right side seems cut off

Try adding a light on the hair and shoulders from the back and control the catch light in the eyes to a single reflection. You will require a snoot on the hair and shoulders light for control. Your lights on the face apear too low, the edge

of the bottom edge of the umbrella should be even with the eyes. For more drama camera left umbrella could be two stops less.

of the bottom edge of the umbrella should be even with the eyes. For more drama camera left umbrella could be two stops less.
for which image?

All of them. Not trying to be a prick but the guy I learned from was one of the best. 1. Atleast one stop difference between umbrellas. One main to make dramatic shadow and a fill to reduce it. The main lite should catch the eyes only. The fill should be higher and not be seen in the eyes. When in school the instructors always used mona lisa as the prime portrait example. Again I always liked a hairlight from behind just kissing the hair and shoulders with an outline not so much as to burn out the colour. Even less for blonds. I think if you trya hair like you'll never shoot with out it. Im embarrassed to say I even shot santa photos with one!

Ah no worries
You mean a kicker light.
I was confused because I did not use an umbrella in all but 2 of the shots. I have softboxes and beauty dish. Yeah when I have more space I shall use a kicker light for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bottom of the umbrella even with the eyes seems like a really good way to light your ceiling.

Most reactions

Back