C&C Nighttime Forest Photo

LiveStrong2009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please C&C my photo. I took this photo tonight while on a night hike.

5217121732_da77004915_b.jpg

Thanks!

I like it! I have tried to take shots like this myself, but they dont turn out this good. How did you capture the forground so full like that? Looks like you were on literally on the ground yourself.

I was pretty close to the ground. The camera was mounted on my tripod maybe 1.5 feet above the ground. Simply had my lens at 18mm and point more toward the ground than the sky.

It doesn't really have much to look at, does it? If you hadn't said so, I wouldn't have realized that it was at night, and would have guessed it was during the day but just underexposed. The ice in the foreground is too soft/oof for my liking. There is a smudge on the top right - water on the lens?

Night can be such a nice time for pictures. Do you have any others?

Thanks for the comments! This was my favorite from the night, but I will post the other semi- interesting pic. I will definitely clean that lens off, focusing sometimes is difficult at night... even with some bright flashlights. Any suggestions on how to give the sky more of a nighttime effect while maintaining brightness in the foreground?

5217121134_c8be868a1f_b.jpg

IMO:
Second is much better than the first.

Ahhh, there is the answer I have been looking for. With minimal flash experience, that is an idea that I have never thought of... I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that. I only have the pop up flash at this point, but my Vivitar 383 should be arriving any day now!

Thanks for the comments!

I think the 1st photo could use a longer exposure, as it's too dark IMO.

I like the second much better than the first, and I think the first is underexposed.

The first is soooo much better than the second. Nice composition. It's dark and creepy. Nice mood.

There's such a thing as creative exposure.

The second....Meh, nothing.

Last edited:
It doesn't really have much to look at, does it? If you hadn't said so, I wouldn't have realized that it was at night, and would have guessed it was during the day but just underexposed. The ice in the foreground is too soft/oof for my liking. There is a smudge on the top right - water on the lens?

Night can be such a nice time for pictures. Do you have any others?

Well, if you could see everything perfectly clearly it wouldn't "feel" like night, would it? ;)

I see the darkness as an artistic choice.

^ aha yes, that's true. Just personal preference, I spose. :greenpbl:

If you have some moonlight, you can get results like this.

Attachments

• $Trees.jpg
    $Trees.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 107

Most reactions

New Topics

Back