C&C please

Archer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m new at this. Had the camera for a while but only recently started to understand anything but auto. Graduated from the KR school of photography :0 before I got my camera. Hey, at least he made me feel like I could take some pics :) . So now, here I am, wanting to learn more. I have about 30 favorite pics I’d like to get opinions on…but I won’t do that to you. I’ll post 3-4 in a few sets over the next few days.

Buddy of mine wanted to go squirrel hunting (yea, I’m country). Filet-o-squirrel's not my thing (I know, I know, everybody loves it) so I told him I’d just take the camera out. D40 w/Nikon 55-300VR. JPEGS cropped and tweaked in Picasa ‘till they were pleasing to my eyes. Any help appreciated (you’ll notice a trend with the ISO…guess I thought it was on auto). At this point I suppose I’m mostly curious about composition and white balance since I didn’t really understand my settings when taking these. However, any thoughts on settings will help in the future.

1. Program mode, 100mm, f4.8, 1/160, iso 1600.
DSC_0367.JPG

2. Program mode, 130mm, f5, 1/160, iso 1600. It occurred to me that his hands might seem awkward like he’s stuffing something in his mouth. He was actually just trying to warm his hands.
DSC_0372.JPG

3. Program mode, 55mm, f6.3, 1/160, iso 1600. Everything seems overexposed here. Sun was just peeking over the trees and starting to get bright.
DSC_0383.JPG

4. Program mode, 280mm, f5.6, 1/1000, iso 1600
DSC_0388.JPG

I love me some squirrel fryed in a cast iron skillet with garlic....mm mm mm!

#1 Would have been nice to see his head.
#2 Subject is cut at back and bottom.
#3 Lacks any clear subject.

While your focus is ok (as far as I can see) and exposure is ok you do not exhibit any real grasp of composition and I suggest you focus your studies with the basics first. ;)

#4 OK, subject is clearly defined but because you shot so close and in "landscape" mode you failed to nail the shot. There's reason it's called "Portrait" orientation, eh?

I love me some squirrel fryed in a cast iron skillet with garlic....mm mm mm! That actually sounds pretty good.

#1 Would have been nice to see his head. Can't fix that - he's long dead :). Just an empty shell of a man...er - turtle#2 Subject is cut at back and bottom. That I can fix if I can figure out where Picasa stored the original
#3 Lacks any clear subject. I was thinking subject was the gear but I could narrow it down.

While your focus is ok (as far as I can see) and exposure is ok you do not exhibit any real grasp of composition and I suggest you focus your studies with the basics first. ;)

#4 OK, subject is clearly defined but because you shot so close and in "landscape" mode you failed to nail the shot. There's reason it's called "Portrait" orientation, eh?

​Thanks for the feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back