camera and lens wont focus on the Moon

The 400 f2.8 is not normally on my handheld list.

Original poster wasn't shooting with a 400mm lens.

Didn't say they were. Point is, do you really think you are more stable than a good tripod properly used? If you have the tools, use them. By doing so you eliminate one of the variables that can contribute to a problem.

well i figured it out... i did not have set to single foucs point... i was able to take it at f2.8 and 1/500sec and it started locking in... but this was at 12 am.. so shots are very distant I am going to do it about 9 pm when the moon is lower and see what happens... thanks for the help people......

Er, just set it to manual focus, and focus at the hyperfocal distance (infinity). Presto, sharp moon, at the aperture of who cares.

Note, better to get a T adaptor and stick your camera on a telescope to get such a shot. 300mm just isn't going to cut it for a close-up of the moon.

Hyperfocal distance is not infinity. It's the distance at which the far end of the DoF is infinity. The hyperfocal distance varies with lens aperture and lens focal length. It's just about impossible to set the hyperfocal distance unless the lens in use has DoF markings.

Actually for people with internet on their phones, or a bit of maths knowledge they could calculate it. Online Depth of Field Calculator

For everyone else you could print out one of the many hyperfocal charts:
http://www.vividlight.com/pdf/hyperfocal.PDF
Hyperfocal Distance Chart - DOFMaster

For those who don't understand hyperfocal read this:
Also there's a hyperfocal chart generator on the bottom of this page, which you can customise to your camera and your standard on circle of confusion.
Understanding the Hyperfocal Distance

And there are few Dof calc apps for mobile phones as well.

......but this was at 12 am.. so shots are very distant I am going to do it about 9 pm when the moon is lower and see what happens... thanks for the help people......
The Moon is the same apparent size when it's higher in the sky. There's just nothing near by to compare it's apparent size to.

The closer to the horizon the Moon is, the greater the thickness of the atmosphere (x3 at the horizon) and turbulence in the atmosphere can make your images look very soft focus wise. The least atmospheric turbulence occurs when the Moon is directly overhead and there is only 1 thickness of atmosphere.

Exactly. Moon does not get bigger at the horizon. It's an optical illusion. In fact it's slightly smaller vertically because of the refraction of the atmosphere at that extreme angle. That's why it appears to sometimes be compressed at the horizon.

If you're trying to get your best shot of the moon, always take it when it's at its highest in the sky.

Actually for people with internet on their phones, or a bit of maths knowledge they could calculate it. Online Depth of Field Calculator

For everyone else you could print out one of the many hyperfocal charts:
http://www.vividlight.com/pdf/hyperfocal.PDF
Hyperfocal Distance Chart - DOFMaster

For those who don't understand hyperfocal read this:
Also there's a hyperfocal chart generator on the bottom of this page, which you can customise to your camera and your standard on circle of confusion.
Understanding the Hyperfocal Distance

True but it's not as practical as having the DoF settings on the lens.

Most reactions

Back