Camera Backpack

Soppy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be going on a trip all over the country this summer and want to get a decent camera backpack for my stuff. I want to carry my camera, the two lenses I have for it, some spare camera gear, as well as room for extra, non camera related items. I would really prefer one with comfortable straps and waterproofing as well. Here's the kicker... My budget is no more than $50. I would really appreciate help in this area. Thanks in advance!

Ouch - low budget - What are the specific lenses you are carrying?
Best advice I can say is to take all the stuff you want to carry down to a store and try out the bags they have on sale - stores should let you try them out without any problems

I have a Pentax K100D with the 18-55mm lens kit as well as a Tamron 70-300mm zoom lens. My store has really limited selection and all of them are far overpriced from what I've found on the internet.

Well thats good but the reviews say there is a lack of padding. I will be going around 3 cities and need something well padded on the straps (not so much the compartment). Otherwise it's just about right though.

$50?? You're looking at roll-your-own prices there. If prices are anything like where I live that is. Try this:

Go buy a $35 or $40 dollar regular back-pack with nice shoulder pads like you want and then go to the camping supply shop and buy some cheapy sleeping-bag pads like:

Pad Example One
Pad Example Two
Pad Example Three
Pad Example Four

Cut to fit and rubber glue together your own design. That last type of pad I linked to in Ex. 4 I know works great for camera equipment. When Zero wanted $500 for foam rubber for the inside of my case (30 years ago now) I flew them the long high one and used just that. The (then) $5 substitute lasted 20 years and actually worked better. It lasted till I sold the system.

2004-03-05_04-07-01s.jpg

My opinion....

If I had a choice between a low quality back pack for $50 or a DIY and deal-with-it solution (saving the $50), I'd go with the DIY and save.

Back when I was a broke college student, i would wrap whatever I had in towels and throw them into any comfortable backpack. i tied them with either shoelaces but later bought a roll of velcro strapping.

The other option is to find a well used backpack for a good price.. ebay or something.

Hehehe I used athletic tube socks for awhile. ;)

i own the Canon EG200, and i love it...plenty of room for what i have, and nice pockets for chargers, batteries, USB cords and the like.

i don;t think i would go on safari with it, but it works for normal outings, and is rather comfortable.

one piece of advice if you go with this bag, or anyone who does use one.
(and maybe you already know...i almost learned the hard way)
if you load up the front pockets and have a decent amount of weight in there, when you zip the main area closed (that houses the bodies and lenses) i ALWAYS make sure the zippers are both down on one end...i had them at the top middle one time, and as i was lifting the bag, the zippers parted like the red sea, and the whole front flap decided gravity trumps magic and fell open.
no damage was done, but just be aware...anyone else with this bag experience that?

-biscuit-

Let camera makers make cameras and bag makers make bags.

Someone (on this site?) said that and I agree - a pro company like Lowepro will make better bags than a company bag by canon -- and if its your several £100/$100 or even £1000/$1000 worth of kit inside you don't want the straps to break!

I was thinking to modify something like this:

$30 Pack
$24 Pack
$20 Pack
$20 Pack

etc. etc. Good 3-day water proofing is just a $5 can of scotchguard. I used to blow snow (make man-made snow) for a ski resort and that stuff works great. ;)

Hehehe, it's kinda fun kibitzing on this backpack thing.

I used to blow snow (make man-made snow) for a ski resort and that stuff works great. ;)

Really, thats awesome
Ive really got into home snow making in the past 2 years, theres nothing like being the only person in the state with 5 feet of snow =)

more info:
www.snowguns.com

Most reactions

Back