Camera Backpack

Well thats good but the reviews say there is a lack of padding. I will be going around 3 cities and need something well padded on the straps (not so much the compartment). Otherwise it's just about right though.

Well I'm not sure what exactly you expect for $50. The kind of bag you are asking for is upwards if $200 or more.

If you need shoulder padding - duct-tape and some foam = or foam and string. Tie/tape the foam to the straps to give you some support - course the down side is that it won't like getting wet on bit (tape cover though might keep it try but would be a little more rigid)

Well I suppose I could go up to $60-$70 range but probably not much farther. A few dollars over that is fine though.

I'm considering the Lowepro Fastpack 100. Anyone have experience with this pack or hear anything about it?

I will be going on a trip all over the country this summer and want to get a decent camera backpack for my stuff. I want to carry my camera, the two lenses I have for it, some spare camera gear, as well as room for extra, non camera related items. I would really prefer one with comfortable straps and waterproofing as well. Here's the kicker... My budget is no more than $50. I would really appreciate help in this area. Thanks in advance!

I have a very nice camera backpack that will hold one body, two lenses and a flash or charger or spare battery drawer. I can carry extra cards, filters, lens cloth and there's space for a water bottle. It was $50 from Ritz and is a Tamrac Tec backpack.

Alternatively there are Canon backpacks which are very inexpensive and which will hold even more. B&H has them... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248295-REG/Canon_6229A003_Deluxe_Backpack_200_EG.html
Amazon has them cheaper but Amazon has a tendency in my experience to have stuff advertised cheaply when they don't have it and never will have it.

If you need shoulder padding - duct-tape and some foam = or foam and string. Tie/tape the foam to the straps to give you some support - course the down side is that it won't like getting wet on bit (tape cover though might keep it try but would be a little more rigid)

There is an added security benefit to this as well. No one is going to expect a nice expensive camera in a bag like that ;)

Why use duct tape? Use rubber glue and some magic-tape (AKA Velcro). Then you can add and remove it at will. Same if you're going to make your own bag with the padded compartment partitions. And it's $1.00 for 6 feet of it in a 3inch wide roll. At least where I live. I'd still make my own! You'll come out of it with a $600 bag for $40 and it will have compartments where YOU want them as padded as YOU want them. LOL! $250 for a bag made of $10 worth of materials sewn in a factory in china somewhere by some 12 year old who makes 10 a day for $5.00. Hmmm...

I'm as good as any 12-year-old! :D

Last edited:
Well I went and bought the Lowepro Fastpack 100. I bought it with a bunch of old gift cards that I never would have used otherwise so the price wasn't very painful lol. I have used the backpack on hikes up mountains and over rivers in North Carolina, and through the streets of NYC, Philly, and Washington. IT is the perfect backpack for my needs. It's lightweight, I can fit everything in it ans still have room for non-camera gear. My waterproofing method is to carry a trash bag around in the backpack and when it rains, throw it over the pack (talk about making it look inauspicious =-). Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I probably will end up making my own pack when I get more equipment but for now this is perfect.

P.S. Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I wanted to let everyone know how I did.

I (as many in here) also have the Canon 200EG Bag that was linked. I really like the bag as it fits my D70s, 3 lenses, SB-600 chargers, diffuser, etc..... and I still have plenty of room left for a couple more lenses or other items. It is well padded comfortable and gets the job done well. I never have any fears about my gear in the bag.

I recently searched and bought a bag as well.

While not cheap, I believe Kata brand bags are the best. The one I bought was: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475219-REG/Kata_KTR101_R_101_GDC_Rucksack.html

I know its beyond your price range, but as many other users said, a good bag can be expensive. Kata actually makes military equipment as well, so I don't doubt the bag's durability.

The insides are customizeable, well padded, and bright yellow, to make finding your gear easy. The bag is very durable, using some kind of heat formed tech (dont laugh at me) that is light and durable. I actually throw my bag around sometimes now! The best part is that they are comfortable. I recently went on a 5 hour hike up Bear Mountain in NY and my shoulders felt fine during and after the entire ordeal!

DATAstrm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back