Camera bag suggestions?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for suggestions for a camera bag.

My requirements:
  • I need to be able to hold 2 bodies with lenses attached
  • 3-4 lenses (some reasonably large... like 70-300 and 80-200)
  • flash and accessories
  • I'd like quick access to the cameras, and ideally some of the lenses if possible.
  • Basic weatherproofing would be good.
  • Bag must be fairly rugged and protect contents well from abuse.
  • Ideally should hold a laptop.
  • Ideally shouldn't be COMPLETELY monstrous.
  • I don't want to spend an absolute fortune, but I don't want to tell you my max in case you guys come up with some interesting idea that happens to be $50 more than I was originally thinking. :)
  • Probably not a backpack or sling-type, though I'm open to thoughts on this- I generally work with shoulder bags for what I need this for.
Let me have it! Thanks everyone! :)

I have something similar to this one. It's a Tamrac bag but not the same model # , as mine is 7 years old now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197950-REG/Tamrac_561201_5612_Camera_Bag_Black_.html

Canon 20D, F100 bodies, 80-200, 35-70, 17-35, 105 macro, 2x converter, 1.7 converter. 70-300, 24-70. SB-80dx, 420ex. Couple filters, spare batteries, lens cleaning. Some film. heavy and packed tight! It really a hassle to get things in and out with this much. Basically only for transport. Useually have one body and lens out during use.

Take a look at the Domke J-1. It's a huge, flexible bag that is also weather-resistant and very durable. I've been using mine for more than a year, and have taken it halfway around the world and back, in snow and rain and sun, and it doesn't show a single sign of wear. I made a mini-review of mine here http://turcophoto.com/gallery/3251146_yAKEW#179961817_k5iNa

edit: just saw your requirements again-- this bag does not hold a laptop. So I guess the question is whether you are looking for a transit bag or a shooting bag. The J-1 is an excellent shooting bag and can serve as a transit bag as well, but not so much so if you need to take a laptop with you. For that I use my Airport International, but that's a huge rolling bag. (and it's pretty steeply priced).

Last edited:
This topic has had several discussion threads started. You may find the search function located at the top of your page to be quite resourceful.

:lmao:

couldn't resist it........

I have the Lowepro AW200 Slingshot. You won't get two bodies in it. I do like it, but one thing I discovered on my recent camping trip is that I will either lighten the load and limit the gear or get a backpack style bag to more evenly distribute the weight. It really wears on the right shoulder muscles on a day hike. When I say it wears, I mean that it gets heavy. More than likely, I'll just be carrying primes rather than the big guns.

I use a Domke F1-X to store 2 bodies with lenses attached, it has 4 compartments in between to store lenses, flash, etc, no laptop slot however

I am not a fan of the slingshot at all. All the weight of your pack is on one shoulder and placed in an off center manner. This makes it easy to get sore shoulders and works the body harder as you constantly have to shift your weight to compensate for the side to side difference as you walk.

If you carry light amounts of equipment, this is no concern, but as I've mentioned before, I am a guy approaching 50 years old and had NO trouble walking 8-10 hours a day on vacation for days on end, carrying 2 cameras, 5 lenses, 2 flashes, a tripod and a portable lightstand along with the usual accessories like extra batteries, camera grip, CF cards and what not that I am forgetting at the moment.... in a proper LowePro backpack.

I was not able to comfortably carry half this weight using a LowePro slingshot for a 6 hour timeframe. For me, it was the backpack for the win, I suppose. :)

Yeah the slinshot concept seems quite cool as long as the amount of gear you have is very small... like one body and maybe a lens or two.

I have a Quantaray "QBBXL" (I think that is the correct model #).

Awesome bag, lots of storage and adjustments, well built. Meets all your listed requirements.

$59.99 at Wolf camera.

This is my stores everything bag. It is a monster though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/53353-REG/Tamrac_61401_614_Super_Pro_14.html

I also own this one when I need to cut down on my gear. Should fit your needs nicely.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/53344-REG/Tamrac_61001_610_Pro_System_10.html#specifications

I really keep going back to these... overall they seem the best option. Looks like it would be a real bugger to get at the lenses stored down below the bodies, however... any thoughts?

I gotta keep looking. So many bags... :lol:

I really keep going back to these... overall they seem the best option. Looks like it would be a real bugger to get at the lenses stored down below the bodies, however... any thoughts?

I gotta keep looking. So many bags... :lol:

I don't store lenses under the bodies. I store two 580's flashes instead. I don't use them as often as I do the different lenses. You would be amazed at what all you can get in the Superpro 14. I believe that I have 11 lenses total in mine. A 50mm and an 85mm will fit in the same compartment one on top of the other separated by a padded divider. Another has a 10-22 and a 1.4 TC the same way. It does weigh a lot when loaded. It is my put it in the truck bag and shoot from there.

Ok, I bought the Tamrac Pro 13. It was just a HAIR smaller than the 14, which is a monster... granted, the 13 is a monster too, but I need it. :) Thanks to everyone for your help.

Most reactions

Back